Review of The Rock at the Bottom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of The Rock at the Bottom

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rock at the Bottom" by Cynthia Hilston.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Stephen made the decision not to follow in the footsteps of his drunken, uncaring father. Because their mother passed away while giving birth to him, Stephen was branded a killer not just by his father but also by his siblings. He lived in his imagination and wrote down his thoughts because he had nothing and no one to turn to. That was the only thing that kept him going. He had aspirations of being a famous and published author. After graduating from high school, he moved out on his own and, in accordance with a long-term plan with his friend Ben, they rented an apartment. With a man by the name of Jenkins, they accepted jobs at construction sites. Following Stephen's encounter with Julie, they both fell in love. Rich-homebred Julie resolved to forego her studies in order to be with Stephen. They both get married, but the big question is whether Stephen can lead a better life with his new bride than his father did with him and his siblings. Or is he going to take after his father? Grab a copy to find out.

The Rock at the Bottom: Lorna and Tristan Series #3 by Cynthia Hilston is a work of romantic fiction, and despite being the third in the series, it can be read as a standalone. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Through the use of extremely detailed descriptions, the author was able to bring the characters to life. The narrative of the novel was told from the first person's point of view, namely Stephen's. The correct number and sequence of characters were appropriately and timely introduced. The lines in this novel flowed easily, and I had the impression that I was inside Stephen's head the entire time.

Everything in this book seemed to fit together, so I couldn't think of anything I didn't like. The author employed a satisfying amount of suspense, as I kept guessing the next thing that might happen. Despite being fictional, there are many life lessons in this novel, and I've chosen two: the first is to not let other people's opinions of me define or control me, and the second is to learn to let go of both past wrongs and the individuals who caused those wrongs. In this work, the author also used humor, and I found myself grinning at a few of the quips. Since Stephen was able to make jokes and defuse the tension despite the difficulties he was going through, he was my favorite character.

This book was professionally edited, as evidenced by the fact that I only found four errors in it. As a result, I would rate this book five out of five stars. I can't think of any reason to give this book a lower rating because I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book contained strong language as well.

Therefore, fans of romance literature, both young readers and adults who don't find the use of strong language unsettling, should read this novel.

The Rock at the Bottom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I love happy endings and wish Stephen had one in this book. I honestly think most people from bad homes and abusive upbringings are likely to act the same way but that is on rare occasions. Great review.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"The Rock at the Bottom" by Cynthia Hilston is an interesting story about Stephen, who made a decision not to follow in the footsteps of his father who is a drunkard. I will consider reading .
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

This sounds interesting to me reading about Stephen. To me, Stephen never liked his father's way of life, so there is every possibility of becoming a good husband and father with the help of his wife, Julie. I am going to add this book to my bookshelf. Nice review!
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

Love involves sacrifices but I don't like the fact that Julie had to forgo her studies to be with Stephen, I don't see it as the wisest thing to do. Great review.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

It’s somehow how Stephen’s siblings are accusing him of being a murder. And I like how he still forged ahead despite what he’s going through.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

I'm satiated to know that despite having a drunkard as a father, Stephen decided to forge his own path and not follow in the footsteps of his father, and having to deal with accusations of being a murderer is something unfair on his side.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Stephen has has a tough childhood. I wish he and Julie will live happily ever after. This book has a great plot, and I like the suspense of the review. Well done.
ELI MESHACK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eli-meshack.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by ELI MESHACK »

Stephen is exceptional character to learn from. I admire the courage in making his decision to live rightly and not follow his father's footsteps. I'm looking forward to get started with this novel. Awesome review you got here, welldone.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I know Stephen's life must have been a challenging one but he chose to do the right thing, he didn't resort to becoming like his father, rather he chose a different path that is worth it. Great review!
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I'm scared for Stephen and his new family. Most often, we always have traits of our parents or guardians. I am looking forward to reading this book to see how it all ends. Thanks for the invite.
Caroline Elizabeth 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-elizabeth-1.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Caroline Elizabeth 1 »

I am very much interested in this book as I'm a fan of romantic thrillers. I would like to know how Stephen and Julie's love life would end. Most times, I feel that love is not enough to keep two people together forever.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

The amazing thing I like about life is the power of choice granted to us by the universe. Stephen is an admirable character, it takes self-discipline and commitment to get your way right and do the right thing in the face of evil. Good job with this review!
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Your review has given me a good understanding of the content and style of the book. I appreciate your honesty in highlighting both the strengths and weaknesses of the book. Your insights have helped me to decide whether this book would be a good fit for me.
Active Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-active-chris.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Active Chris »

This is a book that has elements of action, crime thriller and even romance. It is the type of book I would be interested in. I would love to know more about Stephen and Julie. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”