Review of Unbroken Silence

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of Unbroken Silence

Post by Huini Hellen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unbroken Silence" by Henrik Ekstrom.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When a foreign ship was seen in Danziger Gatt, Ola Lofgren called a meeting of the top Swedish military leaders. The leaders couldn’t figure out who would be so bold as to put a foreign submarine on the surface of Swedish waters. Klas Nylund, the vice admiral and head of the Swedish Navy, was accused of negligence for failing to follow up on the reported sighting. As commander of the military intelligence, Lofgren informed the meeting that they were in possession of the foreign vessel’s sketch, which was drawn by a fisherman who happened to be closer to the vessel. However, Nylund dismissed the sketch on the basis that it barely resembled a submarine. They were all convinced the ship belonged to the Soviet Union.

Captain Lindholm had directed his ship to re-route to their original area following an order when Sandberg announced contact with a vessel that was likely to be foreign. When they attempted to pursue the vessel, it fired and began speeding away, as a torpedo from a suspected second vessel was fired at them. This sent the entire crew on high alert, noting that during peacetime, no one would fire live weapons on a Swedish submarine. After Lindholm’s vessel failed to report its position and Nylund’s order to delay the submarine missing protocol, Rolf Eriksson decided he had to initiate the protocol, just in case the crew were still alive and needed to be rescued. This incident marked the beginning of a nightmare for the Swedish military, coupled with the fact that the Soviet Union was the alleged aggressor.

When I first began reading Unbroken Silence by Henrik Ekstrom, I thought I’d be treated to military operations and discourse, especially after likening the storyline to the U-137, where a Soviet submarine was found after hitting a rock in the Swedish archipelago, outside Karlskrona. Much to my surprise, I found the storyline to be a masterpiece—a creation of how various military operations often go wrong and the truth never sees the light of day. Ekstrom revealed how much military personnel may be gullible and vulnerable to being compromised, thus jeopardizing their countries’ security. He attributes this to the financial kickbacks such personnel often get in exchange for cooperation.

My favorite aspect of this novel is the inclusion of titles in each chapter. This element foregrounded the content of each subsequent scene. This shed light on the plot shift and marked sudden and frequent advancements in the storyline. This resulted in my emotions being profoundly involved and me reading with increased tension, for instance, in the scene where Eriksson committed an act of insubordination in favor of a moral and professional obligation. I also loved that each chapter was dated, making it easy for me to trace the period in which the events occurred. The author’s use of vivid descriptions enabled me to create mental images of the tension soldiers face when they face an enemy whose military prowess is superior to theirs.

I found a lot of grammatical errors in this text. This is what I liked least about this novel, as it informs my assertion that it was not professionally edited. I rate this book four out of five stars and recommend another round of editing to fix the mistakes. Additionally, I recommend it to readers that enjoy thrilling storylines inspired by military operations, especially navy operations.

Unbroken Silence
View: on Bookshelves
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I'm not a huge man of military operations so this is not the book for me. Thanks for the informative review!
Huini Hellen
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Laney K wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 07:32 I'm not a huge man of military operations so this is not the book for me. Thanks for the informative review!
Thank you for taking time to pass by.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

This is not my genre of book but I found this review helpful. Thanks for the review.
Huini Hellen

Post by Huini Hellen »

Kemzy5 wrote: 17 Feb 2023, 07:43 This is not my genre of book but I found this review helpful. Thanks for the review.
I completely agree. Thanks for your comment.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Is Danziger Gatt under threat? Why would a foreign submarine be releasing fire on the citizens? Thanks for the review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”