Review of The Photograph

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of The Photograph

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Photograph" by Kat Karpenko.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Photograph by Kat Karpenko is a historical fiction about unity and familiar ties. It presents a family's journey after their uprooting from their homeland due to communist propaganda. Also, the novel illustrates themes such as family life, politics, corruption, and survival.

Briefly, this historical fiction focuses on Nicholai Karpenko, an Ukrainian farmer forced to leave Kiev due to the regime established by Stalin. After he was interrogated by a Russian officer, Nicholai made the necessary preparations for the journey to Canada together with his wife, Juliana, and their three children: Arkady, Vera, and Tamara. Also, the story illustrates the challenges they faced after they left Ukraine and the repercussions of Stalin's plan for collectivization.

I liked the novel's fluid writing style, and I appreciated the relevance of the themes addressed by the author for the socio-political reality described. I enjoyed the blending of history and adventure, and I empathized with the characters' inner struggles. For instance, I was intrigued by the adventures of the Karpenko family in Budapest, and the horrifying descriptions of starvation in the village left me speechless. Also, I loved that Kat Karpenko focused on those left behind in Kiev and understood Nicholai's worries because he failed to convince them to leave Ukraine.

Another positive aspect of this book was the character development. I loved the close family relationships illustrated by the author, especially Nicholai's devotion to his wife and children, always highlighted by ensuring their protection. Also, I liked the side story of Vera and Alexi. For example, I empathized with their separation and the hope of reunion, and I admired Alexi's determination in keeping his promise.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because it carried me through all the emotional states, from compassion for those affected by Bolshevism to the joy of reunion. I enjoyed the parallel plots that kept me in suspense until the end, and I appreciated the historical accuracy of the facts in Ukraine during Stalin's policies. I empathized with the villagers' madness and despair caused by the famine, and the horror of death illustrated in this captivating tale shocked me. Also, The Photograph was professionally edited. I discovered three minor punctuation errors, but they did not influence my reading experience.

I recommend this novel to fans of historical fiction, especially those interested in discovering more about the Holodomor. It is perfect for people eager to read about a fight for survival and an emotional story about loyalty and compassion. Also, The Photograph is suitable for a large audience because it has very minor profanity and no erotic content.

The Photograph
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I love historical fictions a lot. I would definitely love to read this book. It has a great storyline. Thank you for your review.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Historical fiction interests me and I'm looking forward to reading this very one. Thanks for this beautiful review.
erfan parish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by erfan parish »

Historical fiction is my best aitem to be some happy and thick about what happend to the past

Return to “Historical Fiction”