Review of An Unforgotten Heart

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of An Unforgotten Heart

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Unforgotten Heart" by Sandy Schachter.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

An Unforgotten Heart by Sandy Schachter is a historical fiction about deception and guilt. It presents the fate of a family from Vienna and the mission of protecting the Jews from the German government. Also, the book illustrates various themes such as family life, murder, survival, and death.

Briefly, the book focuses on the Swartz family in Vienna and their life challenges. After her stepson, Serule, leaves the household and her husband dies in Budapest due to an infection from a wound sustained during the war, Maria Swartz has to take care of her four daughters: Elsa, Hilda, Risa, and Blanche. The story unfolds on several levels and illustrates the hardships the protagonists face in a mad world where the superiority of the Aryan race prevails.

I liked that the author focused on the cause of protecting the rights of Jews in the context of Germany's invasion of Austria. I enjoyed the blending of historical fiction and adventure and empathized with all the tense moments that the protagonists faced. For instance, I understood the reason for Serule's departure from home because he felt uncomfortable around his stepmother and sisters. Also, I appreciated that Sandy Schachter highlighted exclusion as the highest form of inhumanity, and that was the most valuable lesson I learned while reading this captivating book.

Another positive aspect of this book was its wide palette of characters, each of whom highlighted their unique and intriguing characteristics. I liked that the author managed to make me curious about the destinies and spiritual decisions of the characters, and I empathized with their inner struggles even if sometimes I contested their choices and behaviors. The protagonists, who were always engaged in a life full of secrets and conspiracies, fascinated me because I could observe their different true colors, and I always transposed myself into their adventures. For example, my favorite character was Elsa Swartz because I loved her mindset, her keen observational spirit, and especially the high level of empathy she offered to those around her.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I did not find any flaws in it. I was intrigued by the parallel plots that gradually revealed the characters' development and adventures, and the plot twists shocked me. I was touched by the strong bond between the four sisters and empathized with their need to discover the hidden truths of both their family and society. I loved Hilda's compassion and honesty, and I cried at all the emotional reunions. Also, this historical fiction was professionally edited. I discovered a few minor errors, but these did not influence my reading experience.

I gladly recommend this book to fans of historical fiction, especially those interested in Hitler's ideals and philosophies regarding the Jews' annihilation. It is perfect for people who want to read a story whose characters try to handle resentment and find answers to the numerous lies and conspiracies that arise in their paths, but not for Jewish people because they may be affected by the descriptions of deaths in the concentration camps. Also, An Unforgotten Heart is suitable for a large audience because it has no profanity or erotic content.

An Unforgotten Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joy Swanepoel
Favorite Book: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-swanepoel.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Joy Swanepoel »

This is a very well-written review which makes me very interested in the book. I would definietely like to read it.
Edwardsjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardsjay.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edwardsjay »

This book has an intriguing plot and will be a good read. This review is wonderful, thank you.
Gwen Johnson
Favorite Book: Two Brothers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwen-johnson.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Looking forward to adding this book to my reading list. Thankyou
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I’m intrigued by the themes of this book and I’m looking forward to reading more about them. This is a great review, well done.

Return to “Historical Fiction”