Review of Turner's Rage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of Turner's Rage

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turner's Rage" by James Seymour.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagine a place where modern technology does not yet exist. Just horse carriages rattling down cobblestone streets and a busy stir of townsfolk managing their everyday chores. Maybe you can see a group of young ladies in their lovely, colorful dresses heading to a local inn for their afternoon tea. Or perhaps you'll spot a couple of young lads running on the river bank, playing pirates as they go. You have just entered the city of Guildford, England, in 1826. The events of Turner's Rage by James Seymour take place during the years of the industrial revolution. The idyllic small city of Guildford is growing, and the traditional class society is going through a drastic change.

Bakery owner Jonathan Turner and his wife Eleanora are respected members of their society. Jonathan leads a growing business and is among the first to test the new steam engine technology. The Turner family has been blessed with eight children. Simeon, Thomas, Beth, Anne, Clementine, Madeline, Marcia, and William are their mother's pride and joy. However, even the Turner family has challenges and hidden secrets under their seemingly perfect facade. Jonathan Turner is battling severe rage issues that have grown to dangerous measures. Young William has witnessed his share of this, and the boy and the father are constantly on a collision course. While Eleanora's health is failing, the boy seeks safety and comfort from his big sister Anne.

Then a Scottish brewer, Hamish McPherson, enters the life of the Turners. This mysterious man places some tempting investment opportunities on the table, and Jonathan sees an opportunity to secure the family's future. Anne has proven herself irreplaceable to her father's business, but now she has a nagging feeling that everything is not as it seems. Meanwhile, the developing relationship between Anne and Sir Robert South places her in a difficult situation as she is trying to balance managing the family's business and society's pressures and expectations on women. What are the real ambitions of Hamish McPherson? Is there a place for a young woman in the men-oriented business world? Will Jonathan learn to control his bubbling rage? What happens to William?

James Seymour has created an astonishing, warm-spirited family saga that radiates love and cheerfulness, drawing a relatable picture of society during the years of the industrial revolution. The cavalcade of unique, lovable characters stole my heart, and the steady pace of life pampered my senses. Turner's Rage is the first installment of the series and concentrates more closely on following Jonathan, Anne, and William. The first pages include a complete list of characters, which proved helpful as I dived deeper into this colossal book of 865 pages. The massive length did not disturb me. Quite the opposite, it allowed me to spend more time with my new friends, the Turner family. The most outstanding feature of this book was undoubtedly its atmosphere, and I think the author might be onto something significant. The following two parts will show; maybe he has even created a classic.

The Turner family's loving and forgiving atmosphere was truly enchanting. Everyone who wandered through their doorstep, including me, was immediately influenced. Especially Eleanora's calmness in the middle of her circumstances was touching. However, I sometimes thought all this innocent cheerfulness was implausible. It appeared too perfect, especially given Jonathan's rage issues. In the real world, something like this would have severely wounded the whole family and left behind a group of broken souls. Besides, the foreword placed significant importance on the character of William, but too little space was given to him. Instead, the story focused mainly on Anne. In addition, the ending left many issues unresolved. Therefore, this book might not work as a standalone and should not be treated as such.

Crafting such a massive story is challenging; the author did a fantastic job overall. The minor concerns introduced above did not affect my enjoyment, and I wanted to give this book a perfect rating. Unfortunately, the editing still needs some fine-tuning. The errors were insignificant, but since I discovered more than ten, I had no choice but to deduct a star for those. Therefore, I rate Turner's Rage 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction and the atmosphere of 1800s England. In addition, this story will be enjoyable to those who have read and liked Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice. Notably, this is not a fully equivalent reading experience, as these books were written in different eras. However, there is undoubtedly something similar in the atmosphere of this book.

Turner's Rage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
Phan Đức Quỳnh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Phan Đức Quỳnh »

My own appraisal of Turner's Rage is high. It goes into detailed descriptions of the times of the Industrial Revolution's world and society. It also brings the characters' personalities and emotions to the surface in a likeable way. The warnings of Mrs. Jonathan Turner's intrusion are also described appropriately. I rate this writing 4 out of 5 stars, subtracting one star due to linguistic errors which slightly affect the reading experience. I recommend you to read this book if you like historical novels and the atmosphere of the early 19th century in England. This book is also quite similar to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in its overall depth.
Hansome Menekara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansome-menekara.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Hansome Menekara »

Your review is very precise and detailed. Great job👍
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Not that too cool with historical fiction but I enjoyed reading through the review. Thank you.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Life in the year 1800 sounds enchanting to me. Since I consider myself, old-fashioned, I think I like the settings of this book, barely any cars, people are having fun with the simple things, this is what I like to read about. I think I will ignore how long the book is, considering the story caught my interest. I can't wait to read this intelligible historical work of James Seymour!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 03:47 Life in the year 1800 sounds enchanting to me. Since I consider myself, old-fashioned, I think I like the settings of this book, barely any cars, people are having fun with the simple things, this is what I like to read about. I think I will ignore how long the book is, considering the story caught my interest. I can't wait to read this intelligible historical work of James Seymour!
I loved to time-travel to another era through this book, and the atmosphere the author created was absolutely beautiful! I am pretty sure you will enjoy this one, too!

Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Handsome Menekara wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 08:36 Your review is very precise and detailed. Great job👍
Thank you 😊
Kirsi
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Kirsi, your review was breathtaking! I feel properly introduced to this seemingly flawed-yet-flawless family. A historical fiction of 865 pages is probably not going to make my reading list at this time, but I enjoyed your introduction. Perhaps William will play a bigger role in the upcoming installment. Thank you for your take.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I am a fan of books and movies talking about the 18th-century era; that timeline has always fascinated me, and your review made me fall in love with it all over again. Your detailed description of the Turners and their living circumstances caught my attention. I agree with you that a family member's temper always affects the entire family. Thanks for the detailed analysis. Wonderful job! 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

MsH2k wrote: 08 Mar 2023, 18:55 Kirsi, your review was breathtaking! I feel properly introduced to this seemingly flawed-yet-flawless family. A historical fiction of 865 pages is probably not going to make my reading list at this time, but I enjoyed your introduction. Perhaps William will play a bigger role in the upcoming installment. Thank you for your take.
Thank you for your kind, encouraging feedback! 😃 Time will show if William gets a bigger role in the next story. I loved this book and I will surely read the next one when it comes available. Actually, I hope it will again be 800 + something pages… 😂
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 09:10 I am a fan of books and movies talking about the 18th-century era; that timeline has always fascinated me, and your review made me fall in love with it all over again. Your detailed description of the Turners and their living circumstances caught my attention. I agree with you that a family member's temper always affects the entire family. Thanks for the detailed analysis. Wonderful job! 
Thank you for your lovely feedback. There’s definitely something special about 18th-century era, no denying of that!
Kirsi
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Kirsi, I loved your description in the introductory paragraph. It was almost as if I was watching a movie about that era. Thank you for writing this lovely review, and hats off to you for reading such a lengthy book.
Nisha

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 03:50 Kirsi, I loved your description in the introductory paragraph. It was almost as if I was watching a movie about that era. Thank you for writing this lovely review, and hats off to you for reading such a lengthy book.
Thanks for your encouraging words! 😃 Maybe I am odd but I prefer long books, at least when they are good ones. And this really was a good one.
Kirsi
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Sarah Zain »

The Turner family seems to had an interesting stories to be followed. Your detailed review is very good and well written. I am wondering what happened to Anne and how everything settled in the end.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.

Return to “Historical Fiction”