Review of SUMMER DAYS / HOT NIGHTS

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Review of SUMMER DAYS / HOT NIGHTS

Post by Andrada Madalina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SUMMER DAYS / HOT NIGHTS" by Brian Doyle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Summer Days/Hot Nights by Brian Doyle is a historical fiction about youth and life after graduation. It presents the adventures of a teenager from Norwalk in the 1950s and a recollection of his memories. Also, the book illustrates themes such as coming of age, entrepreneurship, and sport.

Briefly, the book focuses on Brian Doyle's teenage life from 1950. He emphasizes his hometown, business, family, and friends, and presents a little of the history of Norwalk. Also, Brian illustrated some of his experiences in the Army during the Vietnam War and the achievements of some Norwalk legends.

I liked the blending of history and memoir. The mix of stories and their diversity, from the funniest to the most confusing, intrigued me. For instance, the summer love saga of Robert engaged me and kept me in suspense because of the intriguing identity of the model. Also, I appreciated that the author included summaries of several Norwalk legends with emphasis on their careers, and I enjoyed the short stories of different drivers and Brian's friends.

Another positive aspect of this book was the accuracy of the speech. I appreciated that the author did not add fillers to the narrative thread and kept the real nature of the events. I liked that when Brian did not remember the circumstances of an incident, he simply stated that and did not use unnecessary details to impress the readers. Also, I loved that he included other points of view in his story to highlight the life experiences of teenagers from both male and female perspectives. For example, he offered the opinions of some girls from Norwalk about the influence of rock music and TV shows in their lives.

I enjoyed reading about Brian's humorous incidents from high school, epic races, and memories of the long summers before joining the Army. I liked the accurate descriptions of fast cars' runnings and testings and loved the friendship between Brian and Marsha. Also, this historical fiction was professionally edited since I discovered only four minor punctuation errors. Nevertheless, I only rate it 4 out of 5 stars because I disliked that the author did not emphasize his inner states and emotions and focused more on the recollection of the facts from the perspective of a keen observer.

I recommend this historical fiction to fans of fast cars and golf, especially those interested in the trends of the 1950s. It is perfect for people who enjoy stories about teenage boys passionate about cars and girls, but not for those who may not like group sex stories. Also, the book is suitable for a mature audience due to its non-borderline profanity and moderate sexual content.

SUMMER DAYS / HOT NIGHTS
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

I feel like books that focus on just facts and events lack soul. So from your review, this book lacks soul. I am also really tired of reading about this war, there are so many books providing facts. This book would have interested me if it focused more on the author’s feelings about the war. Thank you for your review.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Though I'm not a fan of this genre of books, your review was great.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This book is guaranteed to take one down memory lane. I will definitely be reading this one. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”