Review of Abandoned Warriors Riding High

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Abandoned Warriors Riding High

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Abandoned Warriors Riding High" by Richard Moorman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Abandoned Warriors Riding High, Richard Moorman produced a brilliant historical adventure story with Marty Gruger and Lewis Butcher at its focus. Marty is from an average and disciplined family, but his friendship with Lewis drastically changes the trajectory of his life. Lewis was the youngest of four sons and lived with his single mom. His mother was not as strict as Marty’s parents, so he spent most of his time at Lewis’ house as a teenager. After high school, Lewis decided to enlist in the army. Marty thought he would be free from conscription as he was still a university student, but he was informed otherwise as a conscription letter directed at him came in his second year. Marty and Lewis reunited at war in Vietnam, and they continued their friendship. Their post-war life was filled with a lot of adventure to historical locations, including locations that negatively impacted their lives. Find the details of Marty and Lewis’ adventurous lives in this book.

The book does quite well as an adventure novel. Marty and Lewis’ stories are interesting enough to engage the reader but also realistic enough to ensure that the book is rightly presented as a historical novel. The author was very creative with the adventures the friends went on as children and even after the war. It was also beautiful to see that the author did a very realistic portrayal of Australia and their culture and language. I was submerged in the feel of the background of the story. Even though the slang was a bit difficult to keep up with, it added to the realism of the story.

On the negative points, the concept of switching time periods was very confusing at the beginning. The author could have done a better job by keeping the reader informed on what period the story was set in per chapter, as the lack of that didn't sit well with me. I think the author could have added a note above each chapter specifying the period the events took place for a deeper understanding of the story.

I rate Abandoned Warriors Riding High by Richard Moorman 4 out of 5 stars because the author did an excellent job with the plot of the story. The story had a brilliant plot, I must say. I removed a star as a result of the issue I pointed on in the third paragraph. This book was professionally edited, even though I found one error in it.

I recommend the book to anyone who likes war stories. People who love to read adventure stories featuring mischievous characters will have a good time getting into the details of Marty and Lewis’ many adventures.

Abandoned Warriors Riding High
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I go well with adventure books. I might consider reading the book. Thanks for the review.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I am a lover of adventure books, therefore I will add it to my shelf. Thank you for your review.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.

Return to “Historical Fiction”