Review of The Second Five

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Review of The Second Five

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Second Five" by Raymond Maher.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nothing Brown notified his previous two partners about his new companions on the second expedition in the Fraser River. He is the "doctor to be" and also a slight preacher in the group. Henry, the singer, came from a noble family in England. Jacque and CF are father and son, but strangers to each other. CF had limited English because he was raised in his native mother's house. Mean Mike is the so-called "wild card" in the mix. These five people work well, but were divided in every decision when a Faro dealer came to join them to avoid a possible murder. Fast forward: the professional gambler died and got himself entangled with Frenchy and his brothers, along with another miner named Rod Murdock, which made the five men's lives into a bittersweet journey at the mining site. Will the five men still be able to find gold amidst those troublesome people? 

"1858's Gold Rush Day" in the Fraser River swarms a multitude of ambitious miners to acquire easy wealth through digging gold. This is the concept of Raymond Maher's novel, The Second Five. This book stands alone and is a sequel to The Deadly Five, set in the 1860s. Gold may unify people, but it may also endanger someone's life through greed. Discover in this novel how Fraser Canyon improves many lives and is worth fighting for, yet cannot be ruled by man even a hundred years later. 

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because the author is an excellent writer in making this book into an action-filled adventure in the wilderness that makes the readers clueless in every twist. Wilderness adventure fascinates me, like fur trading, canoe river travel, and camping strategies, especially in making tasty meals, cleaning, and hunting animals for food. Moreover, the author knows exactly when to add the harmonious singing sensation to their gold-digging journey. Plus, the lovable pets add a unique twist when reaching the climax of the story. 

The concept of this book is not just to entertain your mind; it has valuable lessons that are worth more than gold. I like the enthusiastic and motivated character buildup that shines in the five men's attitude when they show affectionateness towards the other miners. Trust, fellowship, and friendship are the highlights of this book, which I admire the most. Though the five men have different opinions and attitudes, they are able to protect each other through their fighting strategies against intruders. The "cost of chasing their dreams" may look dangerous, but they realize that being grateful and alive each day is more important than gold. 

The story is best for those who like an action-filled novel with a historical background of the gold rush in British Columbia, Canada. Readers will notice the smooth flow of the story, which is narrated through the character of Nothing Brown. The book has been professionally edited because I only spotted minor errors that I least liked. The minor mishaps mar the beautiful masterpiece of Raymond Maher. 

The Second Five
View: on Bookshelves
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Esther Lisa Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-lisa-jones.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Esther Lisa Jones »

Trust, friendship and togetherness existed between the five men though each had different attitudes and opinions of things, kept them and they protected each other and worked hand in hand to stay alive as they mine the gold. This book will catch the attention of those who take pleasure in a gold mining novel. Good review
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This is an excellent review which will help other readers enjoy reading this book. Well done.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

I think this will be a good read for me. The quest for wealth can many-a-times make even good people to compromise their values, so I'm curious to know if the miners remained loyal to one another till the very end.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY RAYMOND MAHER WHICH TALKS ABOUT THE GOLD RUSH IN THE FRASER RIVER IN 1858 FOR EASY WEALTH, OF DANGER....
A BOOK FOR ACTION FANS IN A HISTORICAL CONTEXT OF THE GOLD RUSH.GOOD REVIEW
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I love the character names in the book (Nothing Brown, Mean Mike, etc.); it just made the book more exciting and enjoyable to read. I also lived how the book could stand independently; I always shy away from series when I haven't read the previous books. Thank you for writing an honest and captivating review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80147
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 772%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖📚📚📚📖 of the day BOTD is historical fiction a strory about the value of trust, Respec and friendship as more important as gold😁 spring of 18th century mike and jacque continue their quest for gold in the second five joined by an English man Henry and jacque 17yo son Claude the partner meet old enemy and share new once long the way with their non stopping adventure they meet lovely Maggie Kelly and highly prizzed bluetic coonhound..such amazing story it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅
One piece
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-one-piece.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by One piece »

The narrative beautifully highlights the significance of genuine bonds and the power of unity, leaving a profound impact on the reader's heart and mind. Great review
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I'm captivated by the diverse cast of characters in The Second Five! The stakes are high as they join forces to seek gold in the treacherous Fraser River during the 1858 Gold Rush. I can't wait to witness their thrilling journey.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical fiction novel highlighting action, adventure, greed, five unique people learning to work together, and the inherent dangers of gold mining. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I rarely go for gold rush adventures, but I applaud books that show men being affectionate with each other. And pets are always a plus, in my book.
Thank you for your brilliant review!
Daniel Staples
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-staples.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Daniel Staples »

From what I get from the review, this sounds like the kind of fiction that I like to read. I like the writer's direct style. The lines where the fella pulls out the shards of glass almost made me wince.
Udegbunam Miriam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miami-liam.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Udegbunam Miriam »

I've read some books about these gold searches during the 19 century. These five searching for gold in the Fraser River have different characters and origins, however, they share one goal. Can they overcome the obstacles they face to achieve their goal? Interesting review.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This story focuses on the gold rush in the 1860s. Aspects such as trust, fellowship, and friendship are highlighted. These five men are in great danger in their golden dream, so they must protect each other. That is a valuable lesson that the story conveys.

Return to “Historical Fiction”