Review of Greezy Creek

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Greezy Creek

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Greezy Creek" by George R. Justice.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rubin Cain and Bobby Yonts are as different as can be but the best of friends. Growing up in Kentucky’s Appalachian highlands proves an expansive world of mountains, rivers, and forests to explore where two adolescent boys can get into trouble and become men. As they mature, their paths diverge, but their brotherhood remains true. Even when the sins of the past come back to haunt the community they call home, bonds remain forged, and secrets remain tucked away. But some secrets aren’t meant to be carried alone. Can Rubin learn the truth about the unsolved murder of Haman Flowers twenty-six years after the crime? Will life be the same after the murderer confesses?

Find out in Greezy Creek by George R. Justice. I loved how this author brought 1930s Kentucky to life through the eyes of his narrator, Rubin Cain. Rubin has an eye for detail and reminisces about fond memories of his childhood and the experiences he shared with those dearest to him. I adored his adoptive family: Mary Olive and her mothering ways, Seriann and her fiery spirit, all the cousins with their quirks, and of course, Bobby Yonts. The bold and brave Bobby led Rubin into many adventures, including bootlegging corn liquor for his charismatic Uncle Corbin. Through Justice’s nostalgic tone of writing, I became aware of the poverty of the times, the religious tendencies of the folks in the area, and the community bonds forged in those conditions. The stories and anecdotes highlighted throughout the novel were beautiful, and I enjoyed the varied emotions I experienced.

Still, there were some downsides to the novel. While I appreciated the stories shared from Rubin’s first-person point of view, I had expected more changes to occur in the narrator’s character. Rubin was admirable but hard to cheer for because he was a reactive character who never learned to take action. More influential people always made his choices for him. I was also disappointed with the mystery portion of the book. While the author built up enormous suspense early on as the tension between Rubin’s family and Haman Flowers escalated, it quickly petered out before the reveal. Repetitive circling back over the same information and ideas made the ending feel very drawn out for a conclusion that wasn’t shocking or unexpected. I did, at least, appreciate the final glimpse of what Rubin’s life had become in part four of the book.

Despite my satisfaction with the closure, I felt like the author could have tightened up the writing to remove the redundant information, leaving room for further development of personal interactions, especially Rubin’s relationship with Imogene, his childhood crush. There were also minor typos and grammatical issues found sporadically throughout the 577-page novel. Because Greezy Creek was a solid story but didn’t live up to its potential, I give it three out of five stars.

I’d recommend the book to those who enjoy nostalgic character-driven historical fiction. The book explores some Baptist beliefs that fit in with the period, and characters speak using heavily accented southern dialogue. Mild non-borderline swearing exists throughout the pages, but no erotic content. Some readers may be sensitive to the implied physical abuse that went on and the brief scenes/descriptions of gun violence.

Greezy Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
PHYGENS Egens
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Stayed
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by PHYGENS Egens »

i love this book

Return to “Historical Fiction”