Review of Their Chilling Fall

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of Their Chilling Fall

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Their Chilling Fall" by Mary Ann Trail.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aboard the same ship, with the same objectives but different destinations, Jeffrey, his wife, Georgina, his factor, Paddy, and some Scottish immigrants experience a storm that alters their destination. Jeffrey takes charge after seeing the nonchalant attitude displayed by the captain and sees to it that everyone gets to safety, but unfortunately, some still meet their end. The storm washes them to the shore of Louisbourg, which, apart from a man and his daughter, is without civilization. They organize themselves and look out for one another; the bodies of the dead wash up on the shore in broad daylight, having predictably all died by drowning. But something seems amiss with one of the bodies; a careful and thorough examination shows knife wounds, which is an indication of murder. Who could this man be? Why was he brutally stabbed? And who among them is the perpetrator of this act? Follow Jeffrey in this book as he uncovers the truth behind this uncertain death.

Their Chilling Fall by Mary Ann Trail is an amazing romantic thriller set in the 1800s, specifically 1803. The plot was captivating and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole story. I must say that the author deserves an accolade for this masterpiece; the author keeps you guessing unpredictably about the outcome of the story till the end. The chapters were nicely and neatly structured, making it easy to read and navigate the pages of the book. The sentences flowed with such ease that it made the book exciting and fun to read. When the author introduced the characters at the beginning of the book, I felt that there were too many, but I later realized the significant role each character held in the delivery of the story. And despite having numerous characters, there was no form of confusion—that is, no character was mistaken for another.

I can't pinpoint anything that I disliked about this book; in fact, I relished every aspect of it, ranging from the plot to the character development to even the themes. This book contained themes like romance, love, friendship, trust, etc. Although Jeffrey and Georgina were smart and amazing people, my favorite character was the little girl Margaret. She seemed too wise for her age, and she was a smart lot. I found her compassion and skills endearing. And I almost cried at her display of bravery, which was really cute. Also, I found myself laughing, chuckling, and smiling at the intended jokes, and as endearing and fascinating as this book was, it was also soothing, as it made me forget some of my worries.

This book needs another round of editing as I discovered more than ten errors, which will be the reason for the deduction of one star. And therefore, I would rate this book four out of five stars. I will gladly give this book the perfect rating it deserves if these errors are eliminated. The book did contain a few strong words.

Considering the genre and plot of this book, I would recommend it to fans of romantic thrillers, mysteries, and historical fiction. People who love a well-structured and organized story would also enjoy this book.

Their Chilling Fall
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I love romance books, and this sounds like it has an impressive storyline. Thank you for your engaging review.
:D
Agbata Trust
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

One reason I love romance is the element of suspense and twist that comes with it. I would love to read this book. You captured and amazing review of the book.
ELI MESHACK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eli-meshack.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by ELI MESHACK »

I haven't read this book yet. But your review has captured my fency. It has been explained very well and has kept me engaged to it. Nice review here
Chibee Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibee-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chibee Glory »

What an interesting review! I commend Jeffrey's efforts to see that others are safe. I hope the perpetrators will be brought to Justice. Nice book.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

It is disheartening to see the person you are looking up to disappoint you. This book will be full of betrayal and suspense. Good job. I enjoy your review from start to finish.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

This is a suspense and mystery book. The plot is so unique and interesting, after reading the review I just want to read the book and find out who committed the murder.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is a book filled with suspense. I like the conceit of it. I guess we are in for some investigation work with the main characters. Your review is well written. Well done!
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Your review was insightful and well-written. It's always great to hear different perspectives on a book, and your review added valuable insights to the discussion. Your comments about the characters, plot, and writing style were particularly helpful in understanding the book's strengths and weaknesses. Overall, your review was a great contribution to the conversation about this book
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Post by Friederic Schröder »

It is an amazing thing to be courageous in the face of danger, I like that about Jeffery. This novel is not only a romance novel but also an action and mystery novel. I would like to know who the mole is among the victims of that terrific shipwreck. Great review!
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

Romance books like this will keep you on your toes because they contain a lot of suspense. Though I think their ship was sabotaged, as one of the dead bodies had a knife wound when it washed up on shore after their crash. Amazing review.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Your review was very descriptive and engaging. The mysterious plot will definitely be a plus point for this book. However, since I don't usually enjoy this genre much, I would skip this one.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Historical Fiction”