Review of A Shooters Moon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Review of A Shooters Moon

Post by Blessing Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Shooters Moon" by DJPower.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Enrolled in a series of dangerous secret missions that cut across warring nations like Vietnam, Paris, Korea, China, and the United States of America, James Coleman battles with the mental aftermath of war. His nightmares come in torrents, coupled with his rocky relationship with his wife. How did it all begin? Would this pathetic lifestyle be his new normal? D. J. Power tells an attention-grabbing war story in his novel, A Shooter's Moon: A Vietnam Story.

People seldom talk about the effects of war on the mental health of the military and paramilitary personnel and how it affects every other area of their lives. What is often projected is the glory, prestige, and respect that comes with laying one's life down for one's country. How about the young men with their future ahead of them? Would they ever be comfortable in their skins after all they've seen and encountered in war? The author makes a great effort to balance popular and unpopular opinions regarding post-war trauma with James Coleman as his protagonist. You might want to determine if James's ending is tragic or happy.

Although I suspect the story has a fictitious outlook, it looks more like an autobiographical account. This is so because the author put to good use a device that most works of art should have, known as the "aura of verisimilitude." I applaud the author for making the characters and storyline easy to relate to. The story felt so real that I could share some of the emotions expressed by the characters.

Most importantly, the character of Joe Brandon Tomelli is a trendy character we see in our world today. The author uses this character to show that civilization is still far from some people's hearts. As a result, there are quite a lot of people who still have a knack for dishing out negative remarks about other people's races, especially those of the negroes. Some even go as far as perpetuating barbaric acts. However, something amazing happened between Joe Tomelli, the racist, and Roosevelt Wilson, the negro. Get this book and find out yourself.

This book has enough suspense, an intense climax of events, and an organized storyline. But I wouldn't say I liked the poor capitalization at the end of terminal punctuation marks, the wrong use of linkers, and the mistakes that stood in the way of my understanding and assimilation. Without a doubt, I affirm that this book was not professionally edited. Hence, I would give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

War stories are great genres of literature I keenly look out for. If you are like me, then you should read this book. I recommend it to you.

A Shooters Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Natasha Kim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

This is a suspense-filled book, I love the sound of that. My first encounter with a war novel. The emotional instability of military and paramilitary personnel is always pathetic after all their experiences at the war front. If you have one close to you, encourage and support that individual. Thanks for your great review. I'll make sure to grab a copy.
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

The focus of this book is interesting and thought provoking. However it seems this book will benefit from a round of proper editing and proofreading. I have always pondered and thought about the effects of war on the individuals who partake in it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”