Review of Candles In an African Wind

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Candles In an African Wind

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Candles In an African Wind" by Allan Webb.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Candles in an African Wind by Allan Webb follows the story of William Brady, a humble prisoner who was tried by the Queen's court and found guilty of being in possession of arms belonging to Her Majesty. He was given the option of being deported from England under the bond of Military Colonel Milton or spending five years in prison. Instead of spending five years in jail, William chose to move to South Africa with Colonel Milton. While on their journey to South Africa, their ship got disrupted by a storm, and Brady leveraged that to gain his freedom. He was saved by a certain Miss Anna by the seaside. Brady was captivated by her beauty, but unfortunately, she had been given to someone else. Find out if Brady can win the heart of a lady betrothed to another while trying to live in his newfound freedom.

I would first like to commend the author on the writing style he chose for this book. He wasn’t after making the story come off as sensational and running the risk of delivering an unrealistic storyline in the process. It was impressive to see that he made realism top on his list of requirements for this story, especially as regards the era the story was based on. The author wrote about the events in this book in such a way that a reader who knew about the life of early settlers could very much relate to the story. Nothing looked fabricated or so out of the ordinary. For Africans from other parts other than the south, this book will spike their curiosity to know all that transpired in Southern Africa in those times. There is no doubt that Alann is very knowledgeable about Southern African history. The geography of the events in this book can all be found on the map. Also, the wars and diseases that claimed the lives of livestock and threatened human civilization and historical events are not just fictional but factual. Alann made his descriptions better by providing us with pictorial representations of some events.

The characterization in this book was just perfect, I must say. I believe all the characters were relevant in bringing this book to its full potential. I loved the romance between Anna and Brady, especially its progression. It was slow and steady and later blossomed into something really beautiful.

I found it challenging to keep up with the names of a lot of the places mentioned in the book, but I guess that's what comes with historical books.

Based on the apparent fact that the positives of Candles in an African Wind far outway the negatives, it's only suitable for me to rate it 5 out of 5 stars. The negative point is too slight to cause me to remove a star from such an intriguing book. Also, it was professionally edited. I found just one error in it.

I recommend this book to those interested in historical events, especially those in Africa. They will learn about historical events in Southern Africa.

Candles In an African Wind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

Nice review, I love how clearly your review is. Would definitely love to read this book for myself to know more. Adding to bookshelf ASAP. kudos
Natasha Kim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

Wow, I would love to read this book. Most especially to know more about the historical events in South Africa and also the love story of Anna and Brady. How did he win over someone's betrothed? Thanks for your review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I hope Brady was honest and transparent with Miss Anna about his past before pursuing her any further. Thanks for the review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

A nice story line, the character took a risk I'm quest of freedom. I love your review for it simplicity and comprehensiveness. I will add it to my bookshelf ASAP.
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

While I want him to focus on his new found freedom, get a job and start living, I also understand that love can be a driving force to getting all that done and even faster.

Return to “Historical Fiction”