Review of Plundering the Past

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Review of Plundering the Past

Post by Kelsey Roy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Plundering the Past" by Robert A Tayler.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Robert A Tayler's novel Plundering the Past is a historical fiction account of piracy in the 18th century. Brothers Robert and Tom Petrie serve on a cargo ship in December 2002. Robert serves as the captain, while Tom is the chief engineer. Bound for Miami, their vessel, the Belvedere, encounters a horrible storm and is forced to seek shelter in a cove due to the loss of an engine. Suddenly the ship is struck by what seems to be a devastating bolt of lightning. Upon taking stock of the damage, Robert notices that the navigation instruments are functional but cannot find a satellite signal. It seems the ship and her crew have been transported back to December 1720, the height of pirate activity in the Caribbean.

I thoroughly enjoyed the author's effort to provide a realistic depiction of the dialogue, setting, and activity of pirates in the early 18th century. I was transfixed by the demeanor of the pirate crews and their opinions of their lives of crime and outlaw. The author perfectly captures the modern romanticism of pirates juxtaposed with the cruelty and vileness of life on the seas 300 years ago. Robert's struggle to adapt to life on the Renegade showed his moral nature and opposition to violence.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. I was frustrated by Roger's reluctance to discuss his history with his wife in the present day, but I fully understood his fears. Revealing this information could ruin their relationship and family. I was disappointed every time the author shifted the POV away from the 1720s back to the present day, but by the end of the book, I enjoyed each storyline immensely.

I rate Plundering the Past 5 out of 5 stars. This book was well-edited, and although I found errors, there were not enough to affect the rating. The book shows the author's incredible work in researching timelines, historical events, figures, and science to write this story. The action never ceases in this book, and the plot is enthralling from beginning to end. I want to read more about the Red Raider's reign aboard the Renegade.

Readers interested in historical fiction, specifically the pirate reign in the Caribbean during the early 18th century, will enjoy this novel. I was thrilled to realize Tayler is working on a sequel, The Penitent Pirate. The violence mentioned in this book is significant, so I caution young readers. Discussion of sexual behaviors or profanity is nearly non-existent.

Plundering the Past
View: on Bookshelves
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

What an interesting summary. I like books about time travel but after reading your summary the I’m beginning the feel like it’s one of the best of all I’ve read so far. Thank you for a brilliant review.
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

Your review really made me curious and I think it's an interesting story according to your summary. Thanks for the great review.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

this is a very interesting review and it makes me want to read the book even more

Return to “Historical Fiction”