Review of Saving KC

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Saving KC

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saving KC" by Grinnell Desjarlais.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Saving KC by Grinnell Desjarlais is a phenomenal romance novel that details the life of a resilient man named Kelly. His dream as a young boy was to move to California. Kelly’s initial California experience was centered around him falling in love with Rita and both of their families becoming well acquainted. Kelly’s life took a dark turn after he joined the army and went missing while on a mission. After Kelly was rescued several years later, things were just not the same anymore, and he fought to find the will to live again. He found himself struggling with the traumas and abuse inflicted on him while in captivity. While trying to adjust to his new life, Kelly was faced with a drinking problem that almost ended fatally. He found love again, and this newfound love gave his life a different spark.

I liked how the author gave the reader insight into what being a soldier is like. Saving KC extensively highlighted the untold war experiences of soldiers and how they are left traumatized and scarred for life by the horrors they face at war. Kelly was a perfect example. I saw the impact the trauma of war had on him and the people around him. I enjoyed how the author took me through Kelly’s childhood. Grinnell Desjarlais detailed some Indian cultures to a satisfying extent, and I found that to be very informative. One of my takeaways from this book was that we shouldn’t give up on finding love, and the best things in life come when we’re not even looking.

This book was brilliantly written and exceptionally well edited, so there isn’t anything that I particularly disliked about it. I would, however, have preferred a more unambiguous indication of the timing of certain events, whether it be past or present events. Sometimes I had to read way further into some events in the story to figure out the timing. 

Saving KC by Grinnell Desjarlais deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because it was exceptionally well edited, and the storyline got me hooked from the very first page when the troops initially went to rescue Kelly. It was such an emotional read, especially the details about Kelly’s captivity. I wouldn’t have imagined that Kelly would be able to find love again after what he had been through; it was an exhilarating discovery for me. The negative point didn't take so much away from my enjoyment of the story to warrant that I remove a star from it.

I recommend this book to lovers of romance fiction. Readers who would love to learn about the life of military personnel —the horrors and traumas they face at war, should grab a copy of Saving KC.

Saving KC
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I enjoyed reading the review. I find it amazing that Kelly found the strength and will to rebuild his life after going through so much. War is traumatizing and destructive; it is so nice that Kelly found love again. He was saved in many ways.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

Saving KC seems to speak on the power of love, how loves like a mineral or nutrient necessary for the well-being of a human being, and if it's deficient in one's life then the person won't function fully well on all aspects of life. Love has the power to revive the broken down and dying spirit. The book also highlights the trauma suffered by most military men who go to war, how taking lives or seeing lives being lost mentally damages a person. I enjoyed reading your review.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Joe Joewee
Currently Reading: Black and Brilliant
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-joewee.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Joe Joewee »

In an extraordinary tale unfolding this year, Kelly Chase's return home from presumed captivity in Vietnam becomes a captivating narrative. The path to his recovery is marked by unforeseen challenges, notably a serendipitous encounter with Kaitlin Chapin, the renowned half of The Chapins sibling duo, grapp

This compelling narrative marks the author's inaugural novel, delivering an exploration of PTSD and anorexia with a delicate touch and a wealth of compassion. The characters, including the two KCs, are accurately portrayed, each contributing a unique element to the unfolding story. The writing style is effortlessly conversational, akin to a heartfelt conversation with a close friend, and the narrative is emotionally resonant. A truly captivating experience that left me enthralled! I like this book
oto12
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by oto12 »

I am most excited on reading the review. I find it special that Kelly found the strength and power to reestablish his life after going through so much. War is never ending sorrow and destructive; it is so nice that Kelly found love again. He was saved in many ways.
Lana stumborg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lana stumborg »

Alexander Schmook’s review of the book “Saving KC” , by G. Dejarlais tells the reader exactly how he feels about it. With a 5/5 star rating, he clearly enjoyed and recommends this book. He even mentioned that it is not just a good read for simple entertainment purposes, for him it was informative and included a realistic approach to various topics, such as PTSD, which are very relevant and common issues to a lot of people, and therefore important to see in the novels we read and the subjects we discuss. The review was concise and gave me a good indication of what to expect without revealing too much about the story. Thanks, Alexander!
Kooex007
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kooex007 »

Saving KC is interesting story ; Sometimes when we have a dream about life but something just happened and it changes everything , some people will recover while some won't , am happy for Kelly , he finds his way back
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Network by Amerigo Merenda

Post by Esther Deekor »

Congratulations on BOTD, Saving KC sounds like an action thriller with a mix of romance. And if these two are in the right proportion, then this book is a definite read for me since I'm a fan of action thrillers with a mix of romance.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The gripping tale of Kelly's resilience in 'Saving KC' has caught my attention. I'm eager to delve into the untold war experiences and the unexpected twists in Kelly's pursuit of love.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

The review is helpful and sufficient, providing insight into the book's themes, writing quality, and emotional impact. It is likely to motivate readers interested in romance fiction and military experiences to buy the book. From the reviewer's perspective, the book appears to be a valuable addition to anyone's library.
Ajibo Victoria
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ajibo Victoria »

Saving KC seems to have already captured my attention. The book explains how love can be able to revive a broken person and how war can be very traumatic for military men after seeing their fellows being killed and a lot of lives lost during war. The book is really interesting and I really love it
Aida Nuria Montenegro Jerez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aida-nuria-montenegro-jerez.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Aida Nuria Montenegro Jerez »

What an interesting book this is! In it, we are transported to the United States, where, after three years of being held hostage, a veteran must heal his physical and mental wounds while reuniting with his youthful love. It has been, without a doubt, really entertaining.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

Straight away, in chapter one, we are taken straight to a sad scene of death and destruction in the Vietnamese war. Here, in horrific conditions, we meet our man Kelly Allen Chase. From his rescue to recovery we follow his heart wrenching story. He was raised as a hard worker and this instilled toughness probably enabled his survival.

The book is captivating and easy to read. I feel that it is a book that would appeal to young male adults.
Aang Krishna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ni-ketut-anggraeni.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Aang Krishna »

Thank you for the wonderful review. The storyline is very attractive. Fighting against trauma is not easy. I really applaud of Kelly’s struggle to fight the trauma until he was finally able to find his true love. That is very touching story. Congratulations to the reviewer and author. GBU.
:techie-studying gray: keep reading book and always happy
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Your review of 'Saving KC' by Grinnell Desjarlais is as compelling as it is insightful. It's fascinating how you've highlighted the intricate portrayal of a soldier's life and its aftermath. The way you described the book's exploration of trauma and recovery, intertwined with cultural insights and the undying hope for love, makes it sound like a must-read. Also, your point about the timeline being a bit confusing is an interesting observation that I hadn't considered before. It adds a unique perspective to the narrative structure of the story.

Return to “Historical Fiction”