Review of A Striving After Wind

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of A Striving After Wind

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Striving After Wind" by sharon Traner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Striving After Wind Part 1 by Sharon Traner is a story about love, sacrifice, and commitment among the Winston family. After the death of his wife and the mother of his ten children, Matthew Winston, Sr. had a hard time moving on from the grief of losing the love of his life. He ended up gambling in a poker game, where he was lucky enough to win a lot of money and a deed to 420 acres of prime land in the Mississippi valley. Matthew decided it was time to abandon the life of luxury that he and his pampered children had grown accustomed to and start getting their hands dirty with farm work.

How will they all cope with no farming knowledge or living on a farm? How are these kids who are yet to get over the shock of losing their mother expected to start a new and different kind of life from what they are used to? This exciting novel reveals all of that.

Even the most stoic readers will shed a few tears because of the book's emotional climax. There are many heartbreaking moments, like Annie struggling to run her large family and Luke voluntarily enlisting in the army to make his father happy. The author wants to convey several important messages and lessons to the audience, one of which has to be the importance of family. Family is everything. A Striving After Wind Part 1 sends that strong message. It has much to teach us about love, sacrifice, and dedication.

The author's vast knowledge helped enrich the work with elegance and refinement. She wrote with massive experience in areas of agriculture and farming. She also had excellent knowledge of poker. Readers would find a lot to learn in these areas. The author paid attention to all the book's characters. Little Becky and Joey weren't left out of the family drama.

The book has been professionally edited, and the author has put much effort into creating something special for readers. Those interested in the genres of adventure, family drama, and historical fiction will find this book entertaining.

I enjoyed the book from the beginning to the end. The book had happy and thrilling parts; it wasn't all doom and gloom. I also liked that the author had some words spelled differently, like 'emcee,' which I believed is MC (master of ceremonies). At some points, I chuckled out loud, like when Mack blindly went after a fox.

The author's inclusion of humorous touches throughout the drama earns the book my highest rating of five out of five stars, and I'm eagerly waiting for the next part. I will love to read more about the Winston family and their lives.

A Striving After Wind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Risa Daniel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Risa Daniel »

I think you did an excellent job of the summary and this review overall. :tiphat:

I felt like I was right there :techie-studyingbrown: Striving along with the Winston’s in coping with some complex emotions and the challenge of a new lifestyle.

Well done, historical fiction with a twist of adventure is definitely my cup of tea. :coffee3-smiley:
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This book has many lessons to teach , one is surviving after a loss. This a great detailed review, I would like to read this book and see how the story unfolded. Great Review

Return to “Historical Fiction”