Review of Katrina's Justice

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Review of Katrina's Justice

Post by Israel10 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Katrina's Justice" by KRFischer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Katrina is the wife of Dean and a mother to three children, Rosa, Junior, and Wayne. They had just moved to a new house in a secluded rural community. In fulfilling her responsibilities as a mother, wife, and daughter, she takes care of planning the family’s yearly vacation to visit relatives, as well as ensuring Junior gets the appropriate help he needs to handle his ADD and anger psychosis. All seems to go well until a new family neck deep in debt moves in across them. Katrina extends a helping hand to them. What happens when they take her hand and try to pull her down? Can Katrina get the justice she deserves? Find out in Katrina’s Justice by K.R. Fischer.

There are so many positive aspects to this book. The story is all about Katrina and how she caters to her family. To properly do justice to the plot and create vivid mental images for readers, the author paid attention to the littlest details about the family’s everyday life. From the moment every member wakes up to their daily routine and the end of the day, the author elaborately describes their lives.

The book also addresses the challenges of raising and catering to children in the 20th century. It dealt with contemporary parental issues. Junior had disorders that warranted the need to see a psychiatrist for counseling. I loved that the book did not shy away from bringing awareness and focus to the fact that sometimes parents need to seek professional help for their children and not expect them to grow out of their issues. The book also acknowledges stay-at-home mothers who go through a lot of mental and physical strain to ensure the smooth running of the family. The book made me realize that being a parent, especially a mother, is a full-time job.

My favorite character was Katrina. I admired her strength, resilience, and her kind heart. Her reaction to the terrorist attacks on the twin towers and Prue’s predicament show her to be an empathic soul. The book also raises questions about the purpose of the justice system and the methods used in actualizing justice. It also calls into question the rehabilitative and correctional strategies for dealing with child abuse and neglect.

There are negative aspects to this book as well. There were numerous grammatical mistakes, dialogue errors, and wrong punctuation throughout the book. It was not professionally edited. There were always sudden multiple switches between the third-person and the first-person point of view. Also, I did not feel the title was an appropriate one for the book. This is considering the view the author created about the judicial system and child protection services. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars because of the reservations I have about the book. I recommend this book to mothers who struggle with child parenting and upbringing, as well as readers that enjoy family-oriented stories.

Katrina's Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Switching between 3rd and 1st person is an interesting choice. I feel like that would be off-putting to read.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I think today; many people don't realize what it is like to be a stay-at-home mother. Katrina sounds like a hard-working, caring parent, and I'm interested in what the justice part of the storyline is about.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful reviews. Adding this book to my bookshelf ASAP for possible reading in the future. Kudos.

Return to “Historical Fiction”