Review of Between Two Shades of Blue

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of Between Two Shades of Blue

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between Two Shades of Blue" by Mark Clodfelter.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One thing that must happen to every human being is that they will certainly have to grow through life, whether positively or negatively. Paul is forced into a bleak world at quite an early age. His circumstances motivate him to work hard at school, and it pays off because he graduates as a valedictorian. Paul does not qualify for the scholarship he applied for to gain admission into UNC, and this keeps him on his toes. He makes a decision and is determined to join the Air Force. One day, his successful nomination to the US Air Force Academy is announced by Congressman Walter Jones, which comes as a relief to Paul's mother. On July 2, 1973, Paul walks through the US Air Force Academy’s South Gate as a young and novice cadet. Will Paul's experiences in Between Two Shades of Blue by Mark Clodfelter make or break him? 

There are a lot of wonderful aspects to this book. One of the excellent things about it is the well-developed character of Paul Glattan. This character is not stagnant. He is a dynamic character who moves and grows through life, learning lessons. Not that Paul was born extremely courageous, but he had the strong will and determination to be the best of himself. Plus, his father's departure and the life of hardship to which his family was subjected motivated him to strive for whatever he wanted with great determination. Paul certainly did not know what he was signing up for when he clambered to join the Air Force to defend his nation. The remote cause of his decision to join the Air Force Academy stemmed from the fact that he was a victim of circumstances, and the immediate cause was that Paul's ego could not bear being looked upon as a victim. However, what he faced at the academy had never crossed his imagination. He never knew how much hardship he would go through to have to prove himself as a worthy fighter for his nation's welfare, even up to the point that his character was threatened and he almost lost track of who he really was. However, Paul overcame all the challenges and hurdles and came out fully formed.

I really appreciate that the author divided the plot into three parts named Morphing, Recalibration, and Awakening. Mark divided each part into chapters with clearly stated events and dates to mark them. Also, the quotes that introduced each chapter were something I loved reading. These quotes were filled with a lot of wisdom and gave me the room to think deeply.

Another aspect of great interest to me was how I felt that the experiences of the protagonist in the academy were symbolic in x-raying how life is not a bed of roses; one would have to pass through hurdles to be the best version of themselves.

I really appreciate the relationship between Lieutenant Chadwick and Paul. It was a relationship in which the two of them benefitted from each other. Paul found a father figure in Chadwick, from whom he was able to learn a lot, regardless of his imperfections. Vice versa, Chadwick found in Paul a teachable and dependable young man with whom he could share his private thoughts. Through this relationship, Paul learned to forgive his own biological father and accept his imperfections.

The game of basketball is something that gives me great ecstasy. Reading about the championship games in this book made me quite emotional and agitated, as though I were watching or witnessing a real-life competition. So, when Carolina supporters were excited when the team advanced to the 1977 National Championship game against Marquette, I could totally relate to their happiness and ecstasy.

Meanwhile, on the flip side, personally, I would love that teenagers could read this book because they certainly have a lot to learn from Paul's experiences. However, because of the strong language and profanities that are present in almost every page of the book and which the writer warned about in the introductory part of the book, Between Two Shades of Blue might not be appropriate for them to read. I see this as a painful loss for young people.

Applaudingly, this book was professionally edited, because I found one error in it. It deserves a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this to a mature audience, especially young male adults who are interested in the military and air force and are trying to find their way through life. Basketball game lovers will enjoy reading this book as well. Young adults generally will garner one or two pieces of wisdom from the life of Paul in this book.

Between Two Shades of Blue
View: on Bookshelves
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

When authors make characters build relationships, the readers become more glued to the story. I think I'll like to read this one.
Nice Review.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I agree with you, everyone on Earth must grow through life and they will experience the challenges of life and learn how to overcome them. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I enjoy it when books are divided into sections and it helps the reader to understand better the message. I think I will read this for more information. Good job.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I think the experiences of the protagonist in this book are what I advise everyone to learn from. Good job and keep it up.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Merits Anih »

The title of the book is intriguing and draws the reader in. It's a great example of how a well-chosen title can pique the reader's interest. The fact that the book is focused on a specific time period and setting (the 1970s Air Force Academy) gives it a unique and interesting perspective.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

It's interesting to see how the protagonist's experiences in the Air Force Academy serve as a metaphor for the challenges we all face in life. It's a great reminder that growth and success are often the result of overcoming obstacles.
Michael Browny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-browny.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Michael Browny »

The way the plot is divided into three parts with clearly marked chapters is a great way to keep the reader engaged and organized. The inclusion of quotes at the beginning of each chapter is a nice touch that adds a layer of depth and wisdom to the narrative.
David Offdavis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-offdavis.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by David Offdavis »

The basketball scenes are written in such a way that they are exciting and emotional to read. It's great to see a book that can evoke such strong reactions in the reader. It's a shame that the strong language and profanity in the book make it unsuitable for younger readers. However, it's great that you pointed this out for potential readers.
PHYGENS Egens
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Stayed
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by PHYGENS Egens »

verry nice

Return to “Historical Fiction”