Review of Path To Slippery Rock

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of Path To Slippery Rock

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Path To Slippery Rock" by Franklin Hall.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Path To Slippery Rock by Franklin Hall is a fictional story about four high school students living in a mountain town named Baylor. Eddie, Joe, and Bobbie grew up as friends. Eddie wants his first date with Bobbie to be the upcoming school dance, but he wants Joe to find a girlfriend first to prevent him from tagging along with them. Therefore, he is happy when Joe meets Jessie, who moves to town with her father, who is the new police chief. Then mysterious events start happening in the community. Someone is stalking Bobbie, Eddie's test papers are exact matches to the papers of another student named David, a horse is missing from the stables the boys work at, and the four friends find themselves in the middle of a shootout between the police and a suspected gas station robber who gets away. Will these four teenagers solve these mysteries? What dangers will they encounter?

Franklin Hall brought these characters to life realistically by giving them attitudes that you would expect from teenagers in the tenth grade. For example, they were mischievous and did not always obey their parents, thinking they knew best. I commend the author for making Bobbie a strong female character who could care for herself. Their swimming in Slippery Rock Pond brought back pleasant memories of my childhood living in the country. The demographics of the mountain, pond, creek, cave, hills, and other landscapes were easy to visualize. The author's writing skills kept the mysteries alive and made it difficult for me to put the book down. I enjoyed humorous phrases like "turned into a hungry cobra going after dinner."

The only improvement I recommend to Franklin Hall is that he adds the chapter titles that are in the "Table of Contents" to each chapter heading. The Kindle version of the book has some formatting issues, but they did not distract from my reading enjoyment. This book has a smooth-flowing and moderately paced plot and is written in simple language that is easy to understand.

Despite the handful of errors and lack of chapter titles, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and it deserves nothing less than 5 out of 5 stars. I look forward to reading more of Franklin Hall's books.

Young adult and adult readers who enjoy adventure and mystery books with a little bit of romance tied in are the ones I recommend this book to. There are only a couple of instances of minor profanity that most teenagers and adults will not find offensive.

Path To Slippery Rock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

This book sounds like great summer reading for middle schoolers.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Patty Allread wrote: 29 Mar 2023, 16:22 This book sounds like great summer reading for middle schoolers.
It definitely would be.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It looks like Eddie, Joe, and Bobbie are characters nice to follow in this book. It looks like David's character contributes a lot of suspense throughout the book. I think the boys will solve the mystery. Your review is wonderful.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Historical Fiction”