Review of Walking With An Open Heart

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of Walking With An Open Heart

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking With An Open Heart" by Dusty White.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Walking with an Open Heart by Dusty White, written by Dean Rinaldi, is an exceptional book. I enjoyed it very much. This book is Dusty White's autobiography. It takes us on a journey through the life of Dusty White, a young and love-stricken girl who went to Europe with her military husband. Life seemed so perfect and savoury till things took a downward spiral after she discovered her husband in a compromising position with another young lady. Dusty returns back to America saddled with grief and loss. Despite all the obstacles she faced, Dusty rose above it all and stayed at the top of her game.

By taking charge of her life and taking matters into her own hands, and not allowing herself to get swayed by the pressure and judgemental condescension mounted upon her by her own mother, Dusty grew from a young and naive girl to a strong and formidable woman. How does she manage to do this?

On the positive aspect of this book, I loved the way social and economic issues revolving around women were brought to light. The book explored the themes of free will, tenacity, and determination, as all three qualities helped Dusty in becoming the woman that she is.

The book was genuinely insightful and discussed a lot of things. It explores how uncertain life stands as we see Dusty uprooted from her ideal reality of life. It also touches on how parents drive their children to the edge with their insensitivity, snide remarks, and judgemental comments. We also see firsthand instances of how cruel the world is in the case of Kate and her pimp and other clueless young girls on the street engaging in different atrocities to make ends meet. The theme of change and adaptation is also prevalent in the book. There will always be changes in our lives, and we should be willing and ever-ready to adapt. Dusty's life was a perfect illustration of that.

There is nothing I would consider to be a negative aspect of this book, as it was poignant in every sense of the word. However, one might find the gender discrimination and patriarchy exhibited in the book a little irksome. This is, however, the reality of our modern-day society, and we are seeing progress and changes for the better, albeit very slowly.

This is a book I recommend for everyone, especially women, because more than just learning about love and its baggage, we also get to learn the art of having a strong and firm resolve and the strength to not cave in even in the face of pressure. It is a perfect illustration of "when life gives you lemons, make lemonades."

Dusty White's Walking with an Open Heart is a beautiful book, one I hoped never to end. It was finely edited and well-written. It is also written in simple and excellent diction. One can fully experience the amazing qualities associated with the book. I hereby rate this book five out of five stars.

Walking With An Open Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

There will always be changes in our lives, and we should be willing and ever-ready to adapt. Dusty's life was a perfect illustration of that.
Nice review! Dusty's autobiography sounds like it gives a positive example of getting through life's unexpected problems and striving for a good, fulfilling life.
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

I need to read this book soon to gain firsthand insights, and thank you for providing a review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”