Review of Etch of a Promise

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review of Etch of a Promise

Post by Janet Kimetto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Etch of a Promise" by Ruby M Holder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Etch of a Promise is a historical fiction romance novel by Ruby M Holder. The story is about her great-grandparents' relationship and life in nineteenth-century Germany, imagined.

Nicklaus Zimmer, a journeyman carpenter, arrives in Cologne hoping to complete his two-year-plus-a-day journeyman course and become a master carpenter. Maria Glade is the first person Nicklaus meets. At only sixteen, Maria has been through a lot, even running away from home. She's at the Volksgarten (park) feeding birds when a stranger intrudes on her. She gives Nicklaus the directions he needs, but Nicklaus reckons that he has never met a more unfriendly person. How would a relationship between the two, Maria, who finds it hard to trust men (she didn't have the best experience with her father), and Nicklaus, who does not see a relationship in his well-planned future, not with his career, unfold?

The story is simple and easy to read. I liked that about it. I also found it enlightening because of some little details, like the mention of Riemenschneider, a famous woodcarver from the sixteenth century, for one. And I'm always trying to learn new languages, so I appreciated the German words added to the story because of its German setting.

The way the story started was promising, with Nicklaus running off to France at the mention of a velocipede (a new invention, a kind of bike) to get one for himself. Unfortunately, there isn't much to the story. The focus is solely on Nicklaus and Maria's relationship, and it could have been much more. A lot of significance was put on Nicklaus's career, even the reason behind his last name, etc., and that had me thinking his Journey (and his career) would be a big part of the story. Carpentry would have made this story unique, but it did not receive enough attention.

Also, there was not enough suspense in the story. Even when the couple had misunderstandings (as all couples are wont to do), there was always the sense that everything would be alright. I also found it difficult (confusing) to follow the time passage.

And although I noticed less than ten minor errors in the text, there were other issues. Like Nicklaus wondering, "This can't be the man Maria was supposed to marry. If so, no wonder she left." (p. 77) way before Maria gave him the information (that came later). And the time they went exploring and ended up at the farm. Maria said, "I'm sorry, Nicklaus. I remember we came with much to be done inside, and there may be little time left for it." (p. 109) Only that they hadn't planned on being there. They had randomly chosen a direction and only found themselves at the farm by chance. There was also Maria thinking to herself, "From the time I first knew Nicklaus, he has longed to see his parents. But meine gute. We are on the way to see mine first. I hope he is not unhappy about it." (p. 315) Nicklaus had recently seen his parents, though, because they (Christoph and Terese) had visited. There are more such scenes (inconsistencies), which had me stopping and backtracking.

I rate Etch of a Promise 3 out of 5 stars. I deducted two stars because of the reasons I mentioned. I recommend this book to fans of romance and historical fiction. The added German words, along with their translations, might also interest those who are learning the language. Note that there's a short scene depicting sexual assault.

Etch of a Promise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

There are many interesting threads in this story, but the inconsistencies would be off putting. Thank you for your thorough take on this historical fiction romance--I love the title!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Indeed. And I agree, the title is beautiful. Thank you for stopping by, Donna! It's good to see you!
Smrithi Arun
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

After reading your wonderfully detailed review, I was curious to read more about this German love story. I'll have to give it a thought now. Thank you so much for the trigger warning at the end.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Catalina Isabel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I like the storyline of how the main characters meet. However I am surprised about the inconsistencies you found, which seem fairly significant. I think that would impact my enjoyment of the book too. Thanks so much for an honest review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'd like to learn some German words from this book and I'm also fascinated by German settings. I think the dialogue between Maria and Nicklaus is a bit complex. I still have two minds if I read this book or not. Thanks for your honest review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 13:39 After reading your wonderfully detailed review, I was curious to read more about this German love story. I'll have to give it a thought now. Thank you so much for the trigger warning at the end.
I hope you get the chance to read it. Thank you so much for stopping by Smrithi Arun!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Catalina Isabel wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 18:03 I like the storyline of how the main characters meet. However I am surprised about the inconsistencies you found, which seem fairly significant. I think that would impact my enjoyment of the book too. Thanks so much for an honest review!
I hope the inconsistencies get fixed soon because I would have given the book a higher rating otherwise. Thanks for leaving a comment, Catalina.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This seems to be a light-reading novel with a lot of potential. I like the simplicity of the storyline, and I think if the consistency in the events is fixed, I would certainly read it. Your review was thoroughly analysed. I enjoyed reading it immensely. Thanks for the honest review. Great job! 
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

Your review is detailed and well explained. The book is interesting as a main theme. You succeeded in mentioning what you did not like because it could be important to other readers. I enjoyed reading your review.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

I deeply enjoyed reading your Review. As a fan of historical fiction, I would have liked that more was added to the story at that level. Your review is very complete 👏
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Great, detailed review. Sounds like it is a light read which is good but quite a number of errors that still need fixing.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 22:02 I'd like to learn some German words from this book and I'm also fascinated by German settings. I think the dialogue between Maria and Nicklaus is a bit complex. I still have two minds if I read this book or not. Thanks for your honest review!
Thank you for stopping by, Hazel! You wouldn't have any trouble with the German words, I promise.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 08:15 This seems to be a light-reading novel with a lot of potential. I like the simplicity of the storyline, and I think if the consistency in the events is fixed, I would certainly read it. Your review was thoroughly analysed. I enjoyed reading it immensely. Thanks for the honest review. Great job! 
Thank you so much for your kind words, Omneya!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Sarah Zain wrote: 22 Apr 2023, 17:17 Your review is detailed and well explained. The book is interesting as a main theme. You succeeded in mentioning what you did not like because it could be important to other readers. I enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you for reading my review and leaving a comment, Sarah!

Return to “Historical Fiction”