Review of Granite Kingdom

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Review of Granite Kingdom

Post by Judy O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Granite Kingdom" by Eric Pope.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Eric Pope's fictional book, Granite Kingdom, centers on the events in the village of Granite Junction. The small village of Granite Junction is home to two granite-producing giants belonging to Ernest Wheeler and George Rutherford. At the beginning of this book, there appears to have been a court case between them concerning the granite grout Wheeler complains is encroaching on his land. After this is resolved, there continues to be competition between the two, especially with Rutherford controlling most of the factors of production. Would these two ever work together?

Also included in the plot is Dan Strickland, whose father was a stonecutter that had met his end at the hands of white lung disease. Dan is forced to get a job to help pay the mortgage on their house. He starts as an Ink guy with the Granite Junction Gazette. Everyone avoids him and wants nothing to do with him here. Next, he becomes a reporter, and people look forward to what he has to write in the columns. What does the future have in store for Dan Strickland?

This book had quite a complex plot. It was lengthy though engaging. I admire the author's creativity; he created a fictional city, Granite Junction, and also spun a story that encompassed a lot of characters in the village. My favourite is Dan; he was a very resourceful character, although he came from a poor background; I admired his plans to build a better life for himself; we would see how that went later in the book. Blackstone's callousness in this story is another thing that cannot be overlooked. We should avoid letting our emotions get in the way of our actions.

This book was a very interesting one. The narrative was told from a third-person point-of-view, enabling the audience to witness everything happening in the characters' lives, including the conscious and unconscious. As I stated earlier, the book had a complex plot that would interest its audience; the story was truly meaningful. This book was amazingly well-edited, as I did not encounter a single error while reading it, which is quite a commendable feat due to its length.

On the issue of dislikes, the only thing I disliked was the unnecessary attention to some details that were not important but only served to lengthen the story. However, this could be viewed as subjective. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars for its beautiful plot, interesting cast, and language. I must also commend the character development; this book talked about almost every character but still found a way not to overcrowd the reader's mind.

I recommend this book to audiences interested in mystery, fiction, action, and books that center on granite production. People who enjoy complex plots can also pick this up. Due to the complex terms applied sometimes, it's best suitable for teens and adults.

Granite Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I enjoyed your review, though I don't think I'd be interested in this book. I wondered if "Granite Junction" is a twist on Grand Junction in Colorado.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Granite production is not something that takes place everywhere, so, in the few places it actually occurs, there's usually some tension.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful reviews. Adding this book to my bookshelf ASAP for possible reading in the future. Kudos.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

Despite the poor background of Dan, he is still resourceful and was also making plans to build a better life for himself, which I admire a lot and also suggest for people of same caliber should mimick.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Thank you for this review. It was insightful although I'm not much a fan for mining and the accompanied brouhaha.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I never knew there was a sickness known as White Lung Disease until today. I like how all of the book's characters are given depth without overcrowding the reader's mind. Dan's determination and hard work is praiseworthy. Your review is enjoyable, thank you.
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.

Return to “Historical Fiction”