Review of Ben's Bones

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Review of Ben's Bones

Post by Kelsey Roy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ben's Bones" by Joseph C. Gioconda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Joseph C. Gioconda's novel Ben's Bones is a historical fiction story set in London in the early 18th century. The plot follows an anatomist, Dr. William Hewson, who works at the esteemed anatomy school of two brothers, Dr. John and Dr. William Hunter. During this period, anatomists are trying to learn about the human body to improve medical science. The only way to learn is to dissect human specimens before they decompose. Therefore, these doctors hire people to resurrect people from their recent graves and steal the bodies for dissection. Hewson is a close friend of Benjamin Franklin, who is residing with Hewson's mother-in-law while performing diplomatic duties to the crown leading up to the American Revolution.

I was amazed by this historically accurate look into Franklin's life in London and his relationship with these anatomists. I'm familiar with the need to examine human bodies for medical research during the 18th and 19th centuries. However, I did not realize the extent and depravity of individuals procuring the bodies. During the narrative of John Hunter's "experiments," I continually compared his actions to known serial killers in recent decades. Although this revelation was shocking, I am grateful to the author for enlightening my understanding of medicine and science during this period. The author did an excellent job transferring historical research into a cohesive narrative. The sheer amount of research invested in writing this story is impressive.

Additionally, I thoroughly enjoyed the shifting POV throughout the book and the variety of ways the author progressed the dialogue. For example, some chapters were excerpts from Hewson's journal, some were letters from Ben Franklin to his wife, and others were narrative chapters about auxiliary characters. This style choice provided a well-rounded understanding of the London setting and the cast of characters.

I found nothing to dislike about this book except for some minor errors. Although well-written, this book could use a further round of editing. Some readers may get bogged down by the 18th-century diction, but I found it endearing and appropriate for the storyline. The plot is sluggish at some points, but I see this in many historical fiction storylines.

I rate Ben's Bones 4 out of 5 stars. I love historical fiction, and this book delivered period accuracy and excitement. I work in healthcare, and I found the exploration of anatomy during this time to be fascinating and horrifying all at once. I am grateful for modern medicine. I removed one star for the grammatical errors, as I found more than ten throughout the text.

Readers interested in historical fiction, Benjamin Franklin, the history of medicine, and London in the 18th century will enjoy this novel. This book is not for young readers, as there is death, murder, crime, and violence throughout the text. Additionally, there is profanity typical to the time sprinkled throughout the chapters. Readers who appreciate historical accuracy will enjoy the bibliography and endnotes the author included.

Ben's Bones
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for your review. I love historical fiction, and this one sounds like a book I will enjoy. I have heard about grave robberies for the sake of medical research, and it's fascinating that the author has uncovered data about Benjamin Franklin in relation to Doctors Hunter.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful reviews. Adding this book to my bookshelf ASAP for possible reading in the future. Kudos.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'm interested in this book. I like historical fiction and I want to know how medicine runs in the 18th and 19th centuries. Your review is amazing!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Historical Fiction”