Review of The Shanghai Circle

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Review of The Shanghai Circle

Post by Brian Ruguru »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shanghai Circle" by Tony Henderson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It is in 1936 in Shanghai, China. Triads are dealing drugs, running clubs, and making money from prostitutes. Wars have left people homeless and seeking refuge in other countries. The standard mode of transport is by sailing across dangerous waters. In this traditional setting, rules should be followed, and breaking one has dire consequences— including death!

Cheung Pak-ho is the Sung Triad leader. His son, Joseph, is set to succeed him. Joseph is more of a trophy son who receives cold love from his father. Also, he is expected to fit in for an easy transition of power when the time comes. Charles Guest is a successful British businessman living in Shanghai with his daughter, Davina. Irina Donsky is a Russian lady whose once-wealthy family had to seek freedom in Shanghai after the Japanese invaded Russia.

Cheung Pak-ho holds a grudge against the Guest family and passes the vendetta to Joseph. A woman holding an authoritative position in traditional China is unheard of, so Davina's succession remains a challenge. As an oddity, Irina has to survive by all means possible, even if she has to bend her moral values. The Japanese have invaded China and seem to succeed. What does the future hold for Shanghai's inhabitants?

I loved the traditional setting of the work. There were no sleek Mercedes Benz sedans or private jets to transport the rich. Sailing across deep, dangerous waters was the most common mode. The Chinese ladies wore cheongsam, and child labor was at its peak. In addition, triads dominated the streets, and murders were common if you crossed the wrong people. Finding locations was done by paper rather than Google maps. Even the flights available were cumbersome and would take days with numerous stops between cities.

We have some gory and sensitive details like rape and killings. Instances of foot binding among Chinese women were a common occurrence. Reading this book made me appreciate modern technology and how we've evolved to drop some inhumane traditions.

I cherished the togetherness between Charles Guest and his daughter. Running a business in a foreign country was no easy task. Above all, I learned real-life Chinese history. The effects of war are evident. Disloyalty and betrayal lurk in the atmosphere.

I found one grammatical error. The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson is well edited. I detected nothing to disdain. Therefore, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to lovers of historical books with real-life underpinnings.

The Shanghai Circle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

History books are not my kind of thing at all, so I'll just pass this one. Kudos for the review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3047
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The story sounds enthralling. I am still wondering how the Guest family will survive, especially when it is stated that Davina's succession remains a huge challenge. The mode of transport in the treacherous waters also sounds blood-chilling. I have added the book to my shelf. Many thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Historical Fiction”