Review of The Journey of an American Woman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of The Journey of an American Woman

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey of an American Woman" by Ashley Becker-Whipple.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Journey of an American Woman by Ashley Becker-Whipple is an exquisite book that revolves around the uncertainty and unpredictable nature of life. As the name implies, it is a detailed account of the author's life "journey" from childhood to adulthood. The word "journey" can also be said to figuratively represent the author's growth from a place of feeling lost and alone to a place of rediscovery of one's self and thundering on the path to happiness.

Xandria, was a victim of circumstance and suffered as a result of circumstances that were outrightly beyond her control. These uncontrollable events went on to shape her mindset and influence the decisions she took in the course of her life. How do things turn out for the author despite the rough patches in her life?

I found some positive aspects while reading this book. I consider it an exposé, one with many lessons. It teaches a lot of lessons about childhood and parenting. The most prevalent lesson in this book is that parents should do better. They should be mindful of who they let their children associate with or who they expose their children to and the people leave their children with. Parents should also listen, indulge and give counsel to their children when they complain about certain things and not chalk everything up to childish tantrums. That way, they would feel seen and heard. How you treat and counsel your children from a very tender age goes a long way in shaping the course of their lives. I loved the way the author managed to pass her message across in an understandable and simple manner. The book passes across a message of hope for all who may be lost.

Considering the negative aspects of the book, I did not like the way the author's mother was shown to deal with sensitive issues concerning Xandria. I believe she could have done better. It is important to listen to your child and not send him or her away no matter how busy you are because absenteeism can put a child on a different trajectory. However, I believe that this portrays how fallible we are as humans. Most parents haven't figured it all out.

This book was professionally edited and written in simple diction. It was also not what I consider a rigid book. It just had this free flow to it. It felt like reading about everyday life experiences as they passed by. I rate this book five out of five stars, as the negative aspects I found were insignificant compared to how much I enjoyed the book.

This book should be considered in some way as a guide to life because it opens up about life from a child's perspective and how children feel. No matter how busy you are as a parent, you should always look into your child's affairs, especially when they are females surrounded by a ton of men. Therefore, I recommend this book to everyone, but more specifically to parents. It is important not to neglect your kids at an early stage because it goes a long way in influencing their choices in the course of their life, and not many may come back from it. Some do not find themselves and are deemed to be lost forever.

The Journey of an American Woman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abu Taleb Taleb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abu Taleb Taleb »

:tiphat: Great
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

Our childhoods have a big impact on the type of person we turn out to be. It's so important that parents understand their roles as teachers, guides, and role models and try to learn and do better each day.

I can't imagine what Xandria must have experienced, but I'm intrigued to find out. Great review!
Eliah king
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliah-king.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Eliah king »

"I am thoroughly impressed with the professional review written by this reviewer! Their attention to detail and insightful analysis truly demonstrated their expertise in the subject matter. It was evident that they took the time to thoroughly read and evaluate the book, resulting in a comprehensive and well-written review. Great job
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

It sounds like The Journey of an American Woman by Ashley Becker-Whipple is a captivating memoir that explores the uncertainties of life and the author's personal growth. Additionally, it seems that Xandria, another character in the statement, faced challenges that were beyond her control and these experiences had a lasting impact on her life. This will sure make an interesting read. Thank you for your review.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I hope Xandria found some healing while writing this book. I'm glad she also shared lessons from which parent can learn.
Milli Karee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milli-karee.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Milli Karee »

This review is written so passionately. You are not afraid to voice your opinion, which I find helpful to a reader who shares the same values, or one who needs to learn good parenting skills. Even though there is one spelling mistake, the review is well done.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

'The Journey of an American Woman' by Ashley Becker-Whipple is a heartfelt exploration of life's complexities, providing valuable lessons on parenting and personal growth. A must-read for parents and anyone on a journey of self-discovery. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I have always believed that all things work for our good in the end, and I am glad the author's story and journey serve as a testament to this. The lesson on parenting is timely. Many thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Every child needs proper guidance from parents. It seems that this book reminds parents that friends or any people their child hangs out with will influence their behavior. And experiences from childhood can influence future endeavors. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Fatima Taha 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fatima Taha 2 »

First I must say congratulations to the author
Really it's the best guidance that parents can give to their children
Jared berklium
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Jared berklium »

Our childhoods have a big impact on the type of person we turn out to be. It's so important that parents understand their roles as teachers, guides, and role models and try to learn and do better each day.
Jared berklium
Currently Reading:

Post by Jared berklium »

Children are entitled for being the next generation in the society,so good morals and guidance are acquired for them to bear a successful journey
Jared berklium
Currently Reading:

Post by Jared berklium »

Every childhood has the potential of becoming a great leader, through early stage mentorship
Jared berklium
Currently Reading:

Post by Jared berklium »

An experience from childhood can be endeavor with great future

Return to “Historical Fiction”