Review of One Night With Finnbar

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review of One Night With Finnbar

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Night With Finnbar" by Leo D'Lance.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One Night With Finnbar by Leo D'Lance is about Martin Artwarter, who lost his father when he was fourteen years old, and his family lost all the possessions they had because of the circumstances surrounding the death of his father. They lost everything, and his uncle Toby took them in and provided shelter for them. Martin could not wait to go back to London and join the army, and he planned to take his orderly, Finnbar, hoping that all things would work out. Did he plan to take Finnbar back to the estate? Will he succeed in joining the army? Will Finnbar be able to work with him? Get the book to know more.

I was engrossed as I followed Martin's predicament. This book is very different from other books I've read; my thoughts of it when I saw the title were so different as the author indeed caught me off guard, and I must say it seems like what's happening in the real world.

I did not have a favorite character in this book, but Finnbar caught my attention because of his personality. Finnbar is a young man who, based on his imagination, seemed to have no future; he was selfless and submissive to his master, and his behavior is what made me like him. 

There is nothing I dislike about this book. I like the way Martin took care of his orderly, whom he was attracted to despite the fact that he was just a mere servant. He did what he could to protect him, even though it didn't work out in the end. The author's creative writing is top-notch. I applaud the editor because the book is excellently edited and no errors were found in it. 

I rate this book five out of five stars because it has helped me understand how to handle the pressures of life and also how to treat people nicely. I recommend this book to everyone, especially those who are facing some challenges in their lives.

One Night With Finnbar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

this is an excellent review. you have provided a detailed summary of the plot and characters while still leaving enough room for readers to wonder what happens next.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

This is an amazing review. I can imagine what
Martin Artwarter had to go through after he lost his father, and his family lost all the possessions they had because of the circumstances surrounding the death of his father. Your review is nice.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

I wanted to ask who Finnbar was, at first, until I read the other parts of the review. I wonder how things ends up. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for an interesting review.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: Magna Carta R.I.P? by Jude Meritus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review of "One Night With Finnbar" by Leo D'Lance. Your description of Martin's journey and the unexpected twists in the story captivated my interest. It's refreshing to encounter a book that surprises and reflects real-life situations. Finnbar's selfless and submissive nature, as you mentioned, adds depth to the characters. Great analysis!
Ram Uday Mahajan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: Magna Carta R.I.P? by Jude Meritus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt review of "One Night With Finnbar"! Your appreciation for the author's creativity, the engaging storyline, and the well-developed characters truly shines through. It's wonderful to hear that the book exceeded your expectations. Kudos to the editor as well for ensuring a flawless reading experience.

Return to “Historical Fiction”