Review of No Tears (Inheritance)

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Review of No Tears (Inheritance)

Post by Flourish Sunday »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Tears (Inheritance)" by Jason Albano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

No Tears (Inheritance): Giovanni Salzano The Traveling Mercenary by Jason Albano is historical fiction based on the life of a mercenary who seeks and lives with vengeance in his heart after the killing of his entire family, leaving him as a lone survivor. He joined the Northern Company, a set of mercenaries whose loyalty was to the Coin, to further his aim or goals of revenge. He was trained by the group, and this group became the closest thing to him. After recovering from his injuries, he set out to find Jerry Lancaster, one of his Northern Company companions, whom he presumed might be captured or dead. He set out with Bakker, a Netherlands spy, but it was unknown to him that Lancaster, who was captured and being tortured severely by William De Croy and his men without any success at breaking him, had made a deal with Margaret of Austria to rescue her master spy, Jean De Marnix, from the French's capture. Will Giovanni be able to locate Lancaster? Will these trained mercenaries be able to rescue the Masterspy alive and meet up with the Northern Company after being separated from them? Does Giovanni get the vengeance that he so desires? Grab a copy to find out.

With different storylines and characters at play, the author manages to organize and connect these storylines, each contributing significantly to the main plot. The book was divided into three sections that focused on different parts of their journey as mercenaries. The author provided references to other series of the book and also narrated some terms and the origins of some items. This made the book easier to read. Even though this is the third book in the Mercenary series, there was no confusion.

The descriptions were clear and vivid but overly emphasized and repeated. I felt that there was no need for some of these descriptions, as they only made the book dreary and tedious to read. Also, the characters, although properly introduced, were many, and I almost confused one for another, but with the progression of the book, I realized their importance. I enjoyed reading this book, but the unnecessary descriptions really dwindled my interest at times while I was reading it. 

I found some errors and would suggest another round of editing. Because of this and the above-mentioned dislikes, I'll rate this book four out of five stars.

Most of the descriptions and fight scenes were gruesome, and I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction who are not disturbed by these scenes. Fans of action-crime thrillers would also enjoy this book. Due to the use of strong language and slight adult content, I would recommend this book to a mature audience.

No Tears (Inheritance)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: The Underground Faith of God's Multiverse by Tim Ferguson

Post by Obc Contentor »

Gruesome fighting scenes are my favorite elements in books. I also love the plot described. Thanks for your recommendation.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Your rating of 5 out of 5 stars is a testament to how much you enjoyed reading the book. It's great that you were able to provide a numerical rating, which is helpful to readers who might be on the fence about getting the book.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

This is not my kind of book but your review has picture of the details of each character in this book. I think I will love to read this book when im free. Good job on this review.
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genre to read ,also I love the story line i would really love to find out if he got his revenge at the end ,
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

The review was captivating at the beginning but when it gets to where name's were mentioned, I got lost and had to read again....

It a good book though, but is like to skip this.

Job weldone
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

With different storylines and characters at play, the author manages to organize and connect these storylines, each contributing significantly to the main plot.
Managing different storylines and characters is not an easy feat, but when done well, I think it makes the story especially interesting. There are a lot of scenarios, your mind is constantly working and eager to find out who it connects to and how it all connects. The plot also sounds interesting, and this is a book I would read. Great review.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

Life was painful to Giovanni considering that his entire family was wiped away. Living with vengeance would definitely cause him more pain. I hope he was able to find solace and happiness in the end. Thanks for sharing.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

Hurt is real. And deep hurt is dangerous if not restrained. The wild quest for vengeance may get out of hand. Following from the above, I can understand how Giovanni felt losing his family and loved ones. But then is joining the Northern Company the best option. I would like to know if he achieved his aim and the challenges he faced along this course.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Salome Ogani »

The review's emphasis on vengeance as a driving force for the protagonist makes me curious to see how the story plays out. The mention of a set of mercenaries whose loyalty is to the Coin adds an interesting twist to the traditional mercenary narrative.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I feel this will be an interesting book. Coin was filled with revenge towards those who murderer his family. I wonder how the story will play out. Nice review!
Chinelo Valerie Hero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelo-valerie-hero.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Chinelo Valerie Hero »

I love books about Vengeance, and your wonderful review makes me want to read this one.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

Taking a man's family from him breaks a man, and that's what led to Salzanos' vengeful spirit. Though I would love to know if he took out his vengeance on those who killed his family or if he later forgave them,
Ukaegbu Confidence
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Lightning Child by Quinn Lamothe
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

It sounds so nice to work undercover especially for a good cause. I really love the aura around people well fortified in themselves that they rarely ever need external help.
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

The reviewer's mention of the book being easier to read despite being part of a series is a great sign for readers who may be intimidated by starting in the middle of a series. The book's focus on different parts of the mercenaries' journey can add variety and interest to the narrative.

Return to “Historical Fiction”