Review of The Merchant from Sepherad

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Review of The Merchant from Sepherad

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Merchant from Sepherad" by James Hutson-Wiley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Merchant from Sepherad by James Hutson-Wiley is a book about life during the 12th century through the eyes of a Jew named Joshua from Sepherad. His father, a merchant wanted him to learn the trades and gave him some work to carry out in foreign lands. Unfortunately, Joshua's experience is terrible. He faces religious discrimination suffered by the Jews in those days. More so, he encounters dishonesty and violence which he was not accustomed to. In short, Joshua finds that he has to learn everything the hard way. His exposure to the outside world enables him to understand different cultures and even start to question his own beliefs. However, in all this chaos, Joshua falls madly in love. Will his pursuits suffer the same bad luck that seems to follow him wherever he goes?

This book is a reflection of what happened during the 12th century in the Mediterranean areas and those surrounding them. It is about the wars among the people for territories and power, including how religion was used as a weapon in these fights. Joshua's story is an emotional one. It is filled with great sadness and joy at the same time. It is also full of many life lessons, especially if one is a believer in God.

I liked this book because the author is a good storyteller. The story was intriguing and everything was explained in such great detail that it felt as if I was present. I also appreciated the vast amount of knowledge that I got from reading this book. On top of learning many new words, I learned a bit of history about what happened during that era. This is because the author used some true historical events to shape his story. In addition, this enabled me to understand better some of the conflicts in the world today. Last but not least, I appreciated the great amount of research the author must have put into writing this book.

What I disliked about the book was the author's reference to God in short form. I found this a bit distracting as I had to constantly remind myself of what it meant. Apart from this, I did not dislike anything else about the book. It had a couple of unintended grammatical errors which did not affect my enjoyment of the same.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 because it was a wonderful story and I learned a lot from it. It kept me captivated and interested from the start to finish. Unfortunately, I found more than 10 typos hence my removal of one star.

I recommend this book to adults because it has several gruesome scenes which are not suitable for a young audience. I also recommend it to individuals who do not mind stories about religion and God.

The Merchant from Sepherad
View: on Bookshelves
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for your insightful review of The Merchant from Sepherad. I appreciate how the author used true historical events to shape the story and provide readers with knowledge about the conflicts in the world today. I can't wait to read this book and learn more about Joshua's emotional journey during the 12th century.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

It's evident that the book left a lasting impression on you, and I appreciate your honest feedback.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The title itself pulled me in; there is something about the word 'Merchant' :). As expected this particular merchant, Joshua, is a traveler and he is having his own adventures. Despite the bad experiences and the difficulties he encounters, he manages to learn a couple of life lessons. I hope he has better luck in his love life and that he manages to make his trades successful. This sounds like a fascinating story and I will add it to my shelves, thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”