Review of From Hell to Home

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Review of From Hell to Home

Post by Akshi Porwal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hell to Home" by DJ Power.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Corporal Jim Coleman survives a fatal attack where he had been pronounced dead. His life is miraculously saved by a kind Chaplain and the story progresses. From Hell to Home: The Final Vietnam Story by DJ Power follows the life of a marine named Jim. This is a historical fiction that places Jim in the middle of the Vietnam War. Through the story, we follow him as he faces multiple problems on the professional as well as the private front. On the professional end, the fatal attack left him with lasting health issues that he must now deal with while serving in the military. On the private end, he has the woman that he loved and the woman that he loves. Throughout the book, Jim comes to terms with all that he has lost and gained from the Marines.

The research done by the author for this book is phenomenal. As a former Marine himself, the author is able to add depth to the story. There are snippets of context laid out throughout the book. However, I wish the author had added these snippets in the dialogue itself instead of breaking the flow of the story. The storyline had everything from action to romance in it. The story of Jim keeps you hooked on the book. Jim is a layered character who has his good and bad moments, but his bravery will win the reader’s heart.

The biggest problem that I had while reading this book was that there were a lot of unnecessary details in the book. They did not add to the storyline and left me feeling confused and frustrated. Without giving any spoilers, I feel a major part of Jim’s love life was left unresolved.

I would like to give From Hell to Home: The Final Vietnam Story by DJ Power 4 out of 5 stars. The author has come up with an enjoyable plot with realistic writing. I had to remove one star because of the unnecessary details and the unresolved plot.

I would suggest this book to readers who are interested in reading action novels. Readers of the historical fiction genre can also give this book a try. Readers interested in the Vietnam War should definitely give this book a read.

From Hell to Home
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I have recently reviewed a book based on Vietnam war and I guess another one will make for a fantastic read. Thank you Akshi for the nice and clear review!
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for the great review! I appreciate your feedback on the author's research and the depth of the main character. I'm glad you enjoyed the plot and found the writing realistic. Thank you for recommending From Hell to Home to fans of action and historical fiction.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

It's great to know that the storyline had everything from action to romance. It's also good to know that Jim is a layered character who has his good and bad moments, making him more relatable.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.
Aditi A
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-a.html
Latest Review: Why Does Government Need to be Funded? by Amphidromus
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Aditi A »

This book is very similar to Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath by Randy Miller. The story is bleak and blatant about the horrors that were endowed during that political shenanigans. I am amazed by the similarities between the two books and the reviews as well.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

A story of a marine that starts in Vietnam during the war up to the time he was discharged and trying to live a normal life but with problems brought on by his injuries. This sounds like a great book especially since it has romance too. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”