Review of A Court at Constantinople

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Review of A Court at Constantinople

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Court at Constantinople" by Anthony Earth.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

James Bingham is an English lawyer, a bereft husband, and a lonely man. His condition makes him most suitable for a job in Constantinople, Turkey. Passionate about law and justice, he succumbs to pressure from superiors to take this job and move on. His new job is that of a junior law clerk, but he’s quickly involved with Rosamund, a troublesome woman who seeks equality but brings trouble. James is a man with a seemingly important job in a foreign land, and in conjunction with Judge Edmund, they have to ensure that law and order run their course.

Mehmed is another fellow clerk at James’ court, a product of a collaborative effort between the Ottoman Empire and England. His role is solely to assist the English court while learning their ways; he will play a more significant role in implementing these policies for the betterment of Turkish law and religion. Mehmed soon learns that law and justice are not a straight line, and his adventures to better the law of his people put him in trouble. The lives of these individuals are bound to be connected by a twist of events. The question is, "Will their actions be enough for justice to prevail?"

A Court at Constantinople by Anthony Earth is a work deserving of applause. It encompasses a lot of literary genius that is worthy of recognition. The story talks about justice, law, equality, human rights, abuse, and love in just over 300 pages. The author was able to explore all these topics deeply without rambling, and the diction was also encouraging as it set the tone for the story's setting. I would also not forget how beautifully the concepts blended; the author was also able to reintroduce every character discussed perfectly to keep the reader’s mind alert. It was nothing short of an excellent story-telling piece and could have easily passed for a book in John Grisham’s series.

The book was an excellent read, and I didn’t find any faults in the storytelling or delivery. Sexual content was seen where necessary to the development of the plot, and the book was free of errors. Although the ending left a lot to the reader’s ability to connect information, I think it made for an intriguing effect.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars; it was perfect, in my opinion, and I found no reason to deduct a star. It was exceptionally well edited, and I would recommend this book to every fan of literary fiction, especially crime fiction.

A Court at Constantinople
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for such a comprehensive review of A Court at Constantinople by Anthony Earth! The author's ability to explore complex themes in just over 300 pages is truly commendable. I'm impressed, can't wait to read this book myself.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
pres12304
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pres12304 »

Thank you for such a comprehensive review of A Court at Constantinople by Anthony Earth. The author's ability to explore complex themes in literature
Fayaz mohmand
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fayaz mohmand »

Amezing love it
Milli Karee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milli-karee.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Milli Karee »

I couldn't help but admire your writing skills as I read your review. You speak so highly of the author. This makes me want to read this book and verify your opinion in person.
Salena Locklin Dixon
Currently Reading: Devil's Ice
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salena-locklin-dixon.html
Latest Review: Thumbing It by David Done

Post by Salena Locklin Dixon »

I enjoy John Grisham's storytelling style, so based on your review it sounds like I would really enjoy this book. Adding it to my To Be Read list!

Return to “Historical Fiction”