Review of A Court at Constantinople

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Review of A Court at Constantinople

Post by grace ruhara »

A Court at Constantinople by Anthony Earth is about James Bingman a lonely individual who moves to Turkey for a job as a junior law clerk.
Steve R 1 Nimmo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steve-r-1-nimmo.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by Steve R 1 Nimmo »

A Court of Constantinople by Anthony Earth has a strong character-driven plot centered around a few of the most pertinent problems of the 21st century world.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 681
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 66%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“A Court at Constantinople” by Anthony Earth is a story about James Bingham, an English lawyer, a widower and a very lonely man. He is asked to take a job in Constantinople, Turkey where he will practice law starting as a junior law clerk. Mehmed is also a clerk at James’ court but his role is to learn the English ways of law and court and take the knowledge back to Turkey. Unfortunately for Mehmed, Turkey does not take well to the way the law and justice is administered in England. Turks believe in Shari law. Bingham’s trip to Constantinople was very detailed with people that traveled on the same train, those that played cards with him and descriptions of the women pointed out to him that might interest him. In Turkey a Mufti was training young law student members of the Ottoman empire in the differences in law between England, France and Turkey. The maltreaters of English people in Turkey were judged harshly and Edmund Hornby, the judge Bingham would clerk for, was in a tough position to try create a code acceptable for Brits and Turks to co-exist and Bingham was there to help him. A very interesting story that has motivated me to add this book to my to-read shelf.
Lorna Philip Enslin
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading: Good Not Hate
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorna-philip-enslin.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley
Reading Device: 1Device
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Lorna Philip Enslin »

An excellent review, thank you. A Court At Constantinople by Anthony Earth seems to be a work deserving of applause as it encompasses literary genius worthy of recognition. The story explores law, equality, human rights, and love and does so in a way that is coherent and enjoyable.
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

It was nothing short of an excellent story-telling piece and could have easily passed for a book in John Grisham’s series
- It's safe to say that it's no crime to read this crime fiction book. I will target this, next. Thank you for an amazing review.
Eva Nyaburi
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

"A Court at Constantinople* by Anthony Earth is a great book that has the elements of law, love, and civilization. Such a great storyline. Congratulations on BOTD
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The themes of law, equality, human rights and justice are among the issues that I find very interesting, and I am certain that I will enjoy following how they intertwine in this story. I am wondering how James Bingham will bring about change in his new workplace and the threats he might encounter. As a result, I am adding the book to my want-to-read shelf. Many thanks for the review.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
shiremaiden
Currently Reading: Remembering the Future
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiremaiden.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by shiremaiden »

This sounds like a story I could easily immerse in. From what I know, the intricacies of law could indeed be hard to put in a straight line. Your review was enjoyable to read, too!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Ozone Therapy for the Treatment of Viruses by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Today's book is a multi-themed novel that follows some colorful characters as they fight for the prevalence of justice and realize that justice isn't always linear.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85

Post by Seamstress »

:evil: It's a pretty good book, in my opinion, both in regard to the interesting storyline and comparison of different cultures and traditions it offers. To be honest, it surprised me myself how immersed I got in it, since usually I am not all that interested in the Middle East, but I definitely have no regrets for the time I spent on that book.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 136%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book is great. It highlights its rich exploration of justice, law, and human rights within the backdrop of a foreign land. It seems like a compelling read with intricate character connections and seamless blending of themes.
Elijah Reuben
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah-reuben.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Elijah Reuben »

As a huge fan of Roman history, I give this book a five star rating. Thank you for a comprehensive review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This literary fiction talks about the endeavours of the characters to fight for the law and justice as they are more often than not are not a straight line, the friendship and the love among the characters in just 300+ pages. The skill of storytelling such complex subjects is applausible. Definitely adding this to my tbr list.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: Know what cops know by William palmini jr. Chief

Post by Olga Markova »

Your review is very insightful and intriguing! As an English lawyer, I feel like shadowing James Bingham and finding out about the twists you mention in the administration of justice in the Constantinople court!
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Breaking Bad Universe Q&A by Oliver Kruszka

Post by Veronica Hunter »

I was enthralled by James Bingham's character development in 'Constantinople.' His evolution from a bereft husband to a dedicated law clerk in a foreign land is both poignant and inspiring. Congrats on the botd.

Return to “Historical Fiction”