Review of A Court at Constantinople

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ankitg Yadav
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankitg-yadav.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Review of A Court at Constantinople

Post by Ankitg Yadav »

The Court at Constantinople by Robert Harris is a fascinating novel for those who are into historical fiction with legal nuances. It is a lot more than the courtroom drama; rather, it is the contemplation of cultural issues, justice, and love in a dissenting society as its subject.
CHANTAL EWING
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantal-ewing.html
Latest Review: Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by CHANTAL EWING »

‪“James Bingham, a struggling English barrister, joins Her Britannic Majesty’s Supreme Consular Court at Constantinople. Osman Mehmed, a brilliant Turkish law student, loathes the British court, but the Ottoman government orders him to work with it on legal reform.”‬
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

‘A Court at Constantinople’ is an intriguing look at how society is a melting pot and how cultures can clash, especially when they are trying to consolidate power. This book is based on historical facts about the legal system at the time in Constantinople and it's clear that the author is fascinated by this area of legal history. There is a lot of information to read through at times which helps to set the scene. This does give it an authentic feel but some readers may think it slows the pace of the narrative. A good historical mystery that educates the reader but keeps them guessing about the plot! I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 616
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I just love crime and suspense novels, especially when court cases are present, so this is definitely a read for me. I'm curious about James and Rosamund's relationship and eager to find out how it all unfolds. Thanks for a great review. Congrats on BOTD.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Atieno Magero »

A Court at Constantinople is a well written novel. The book has a well developed storyline and captivating characters. I like that the story touches on various subjects such as justice, abuse, human rights, and love. Congratulations on making botd!
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I think the topics of this book, especially given the state of the world right now, are incredibly prevalent and the questions of law and justice are more important to investigate than ever
Piyush Natoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piyush-natoo.html
Latest Review: On the Wings of Ideas by Gabriella Balcom

Post by Piyush Natoo »

Your review has me absolutely intrigued about the book. It is always such a pleasure to read books that combine various theme while also keeping the plot central. I believe that Justice and Law as themes are quite difficult to carry and your praise about Anthony Earth's handling of them has me itching to read A Court at Constantinople. Great review!
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

"A Court at Constantinople" by Anthony Earth's skillfully blends law, justice, and human feelings. Congratulations on #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Damian Keyes »

I love when a author can combine multiple topics within a story because it gives the story more layers. I can see James and Rosamund getting together, so I hope that happens. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Wow, the books looks like it talks about several interesting themes like justice, abuse, human rights and is a crime fiction. I look forward to reading it.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Hy Be »

"A Court at Constantinople: by Anthony Earth is a non-fiction book revolving around individuals who are involved in bringing law and order in a correct path , in the city of Constantinople, Turkey. The author weaved themes of law, equality, justice and love in this book.
Renol Lavember
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Renol Lavember »

"A Court at Constantinople" is a compelling and informative historical novel that will captivate readers interested in politics, law and romance. Despite some weaknesses, the strengths of this story are superior and will keep readers glued to the page.
Amira M 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amira-m-1.html
Latest Review: The Beloved by Banks Hudson

Post by Amira M 1 »

A book on justice, law, human rights, abuse, and love seems like the perfect combination. Your review future intrigues me to read the book with how concise and with just enough details for one to add the book to their reading list.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

This is a law and justice focus book, It's a general conception that law and justice is not a straight line and I like that this book shares similar views. I want to see justice prevail, and how the lawyers fared. Thanks for the review and congratulations to the author on BOTD.
Upasana Vidish Purohit
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upasana-vidish-purohit.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Upasana Vidish Purohit »

The book is about law and order, it also talks about equality, justice, and love, so it is going to be an interesting read. The review states that the author is a nice storyteller, and the character development is very detailed, so I definitely want to try this one.

Return to “Historical Fiction”