Review of Tour of Duty

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Review of Tour of Duty

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tour of Duty" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles writes another book entitled Tour of Duty, based on the "Cold War" from 1960 to 1966 in France. Miles Ballard is a medical doctor, who is assigned to the US Air Station in Châteauroux, France. He will become the General's Medical Officer while also performing his duty in the base hospital under the command of hospital commander Colonel Barney Springer.

While practicing his medical career, Miles Ballard made friends with Oliver Stern and his wife, Ingrid Stern. Ingrid is a tour guide, and she is the way for Miles to acquire more friends. When out of work, Miles has time to mingle with friends, like having dinner with the Stern family, attending his painting lesson with Bruce, and sharpening his French with Madame Lavigne. Every time Miles was having fun with friends, an accident happened. Is this just a coincidence? One day, Miles will be on trial against the hospital commander. Why? Did he violate any law? Get yourself a copy to find out why.

What I loved in this book was the historical input about the Nazi form of government. It has numerous details about the suffering Jewish people and those unwanted people (the sick). I learn more about the role of the French, Germans, and Americans during the so-called "holocaust" time under Hitler.

I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author highlighted how the art of painting was a way of life in France. I also like how he portrayed the friendship between Miles and the tour guide. The book is divided into five parts. The characters simply portrayed real-life emotions when it comes to following orders, helping friends, and dealing with emergencies. Though the thing that I least liked was the sudden ending of some of Miles's tour rendezvous, I was shocked at the doctor's love story, and I was quite stunned at this twist.

In conclusion, the book is professionally edited because it's almost flawless with only minor mishaps. This book will appeal to those who want to know more about France during the Cold War. I also recommend this book to mature readers because it has a scene about suicide.

Tour of Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for the insightful review of William H. Coles' Tour of Duty. I appreciate your recommendation for mature readers and the historical input about the Nazi form of government. It's great that the book highlighted the art of painting and portrayed real-life emotions. I'm definitely adding this to my reading list
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Frank: The Collection by Tara Basi

Post by Ams Strong »

Good review. I loved Mile's love stories. For example, when he rejected his former girlfriend who had dumped him. That event, and many others, showed that Miles is a man of honor and character.

Return to “Historical Fiction”