Review of Beneath A Barren Sky

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shanesha Sammerson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Beneath A Barren Sky

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beneath A Barren Sky" by Carolyn Purcell Jaco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Beneath A Barren Sky by Carolyn Purcell Jaco is a captivating novel that tells the story of a family's journey through life, love, and hardship. The book begins with the courtship of Parke and Ginger, a couple from different backgrounds. Parke was used to a lavish lifestyle, while Ginger grew up in a rural setting. When money becomes tight, Ginger has no problem moving her family to the country, and her confidence helps Parke adjust to the new lifestyle.

The first half of the book delves into the family's struggles as they adjust to their new lifestyle and the dynamic between the two sisters, particularly the jealousy that Maggie's special treatment from their mother causes. Jaco does an excellent job of depicting the characters' emotions and motivations, making them relatable and realistic. However, the pacing is somewhat slow, and it takes a while for the story to gain momentum.

The second part of the book follows Kate's journey, beginning in her adolescence, when she rebels against the way a woman is expected to mature and carry herself. As she grows older, Kate faces a series of challenges, including tragedy, hidden family secrets, and difficult motherhood choices. Throughout it all, she struggles to find her place in the world and make peace with her past. The author's prose is evocative, and the characters' struggles and triumphs are moving.

While the book is well-written and engaging, it does have some flaws. One of the negatives of the book is the presence of homosexual elements and racial prejudice against Black people, which was expected during the era in which the story is set. However, these elements are important to the story and help to create a more realistic portrayal of the time period. Another downside of the book is its slow pace, which may not be to everyone's taste. Due to the aforementioned flaws plus the fact that the book did not appear to be professionally edited, I will deduct a star and rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

In conclusion, Beneath A Barren Sky is an emotional and thought-provoking family saga that will appeal to readers who enjoy character-driven stories. The author's writing is strong, and the characters are well-developed and relatable. The characters are well-developed and relatable, and the author's prose is evocative and poignant. While the slow pacing and controversial elements may be turn-offs for some readers, those who enjoy character-driven stories will find this book to be a heartwarming and inspiring read. 

Beneath A Barren Sky
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hllary Osengo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hllary-osengo.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Hllary Osengo »

I have gone through the plot of this book and I find an amazing book so I would like to review it.
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

This is a good review. I enjoyed reading the points listed here. I will keep your points in mind when I read the book. Week done.

Return to “Historical Fiction”