Review of Traitors in the Gestapo

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review of Traitors in the Gestapo

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Traitors in the Gestapo" by J.H.Ahlin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jenz is half-Jewish, and he was always a big, strong boy. These might have been just features if it wasn’t because he grew up in what was soon to become the inferno of Nazi Germany. His best friend, Ezequiel, or Zeke for short, is Jewish. When Zeke suffers the first instance of discrimination, Jenz discovers the power of his strength. Traitors in the Gestapo by J.H. Ahlin follows Jenz and Zeke as they do their best to diminish the impact of Nazi bullies, with particular emphasis on the Gestapo, Nazi Germany’s Secret State Police, and a cat-and-mouse chase will ensue. Who will come out victorious? Is change more effective when it comes from within? What’s the limit between courage and foolhardiness?

I want to applaud that the author often acknowledges that the concentration camps were not only hell for the Jews but also for communists, Roma, homosexuals, and other groups considered “lesser than” the Aryans. This is not meant to diminish the Jewish suffering but to validate the agony of other groups. The author seamlessly interweaves fictional characters with real, historical people, which creates a realistic portrait of one of the most sinister periods in history. J.H. Ahlin also included historical facts in footnotes, which helps the reading flow smoothly and adds information that history buffs like me will surely relish.

On the downside, the story can be repetitive. I won’t spoil the story for the rest of the readers, but most chapters follow a clear pattern and are repeated time and again. However, I constantly wondered if this was really a downside. Who gets tired of seeing Nazis get bashed? The adjacent romance subplot and the nuggets of humor add a bit of spice to the mix.

Some dialogues feel unnatural. For example, one character describes another as follows: “His pockmarked face expressed a deep hatred for anything if it didn’t go exactly his way.” (pp. 77-78). This is all very informative and descriptive but unbelievable for natural speech. The use of bold print or italics to signal the important parts of a sentence is a double-edged sword. I found it condescending, but I acknowledge that some readers could think this is useful, especially considering the book is almost 500 pages long.

In view of the stiff dialogues and an edition that needs work, I rate Traitors in the Gestapo by J.H. Ahlin 4 out of 5 stars.

The erotic content and graphic violence, albeit justified, call for a mature audience. The vast amount of information about Nazi weapons will appeal to weapons enthusiasts and people interested in engineering. This is an ideal read for historical fiction fans and anyone who’s just starting to learn about the horrors of the Holocaust since the author is very clear in their explanations. The constant action and vivid descriptions would make this book a great movie about a Nazi-bashing Rambo.

Traitors in the Gestapo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Wow, that is some well described, serious content! It sounds like an action-packed book that would engross fans of historical fiction. I usually feel so overwhelmed with grief when reading about Nazi Germany; I would be interested to read how Jenz and Zeke work to diminish the impact of the Nazi bullies in the Gestapo and Secret State Police. The humor and romance would also be a welcome addition to the story. This is a terrific review that will draw a host of readers.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 08 May 2023, 15:00 Wow, that is some well described, serious content! It sounds like an action-packed book that would engross fans of historical fiction. I usually feel so overwhelmed with grief when reading about Nazi Germany; I would be interested to read how Jenz and Zeke work to diminish the impact of the Nazi bullies in the Gestapo and Secret State Police. The humor and romance would also be a welcome addition to the story. This is a terrific review that will draw a host of readers.
It is incredibly sad but also a fascinating exploration of the human spirit.
Thank you for your kind words. Your constant support means a lot to me.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

your review is articulate, insightful, and fair. It provides a comprehensive overview of the book's strengths and areas for improvement. Keep up the excellent work!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.

Chris Agbara wrote: 19 May 2023, 23:26 your review is articulate, insightful, and fair. It provides a comprehensive overview of the book's strengths and areas for improvement. Keep up the excellent work!
Thank you for your kind words!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the intriguing review! It needs to have a good plot to keep one reading till the end. 500 page is no short number. It does sound quite riveting with what I read from your review.

Kavita Shah wrote: 25 May 2023, 08:32 Thank you for the intriguing review! It needs to have a good plot to keep one reading till the end. 500 page is no short number. It does sound quite riveting with what I read from your review.
Yes, it's not a short book, but it kept me turning pages!
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment :D
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Indeed the book for me is not a quick read. The narrative sounds complex, just from my personal view. But I enjoyed your amazing review, Maria Andrea!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 May 2023, 05:17 Indeed the book for me is not a quick read. The narrative sounds complex, just from my personal view. But I enjoyed your amazing review, Maria Andrea!
That may have been my mistake. It's not a complicated plot. The cast of characters is not too big, and the author does a great job of explaining everything required to understand the historical context.
Thank you for your kind words!
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful and balanced review. Although historical books aren't usually my go-to genre, your review has piqued my curiosity.
Rosandra Hosein

Rosandra Hosein wrote: 01 Jun 2023, 13:26 Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful and balanced review. Although historical books aren't usually my go-to genre, your review has piqued my curiosity.
I'm glad I was able to convey my enthusiasm for this book.
Thank you very much for your kind words :D

Return to “Historical Fiction”