Review of No Tears (Northern Company)

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Friederic Schröder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-friederic-schr-der.html
Latest Review: Tangled Branches by William Bailey

Review of No Tears (Northern Company)

Post by Friederic Schröder »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Tears (Northern Company)" by Jason Albano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In the mid-15th century, a time in the Netherlands when history is being crafted from war and political affairs, a young Italian mercenary is on a quest for vengeance after the deaths of his uncle Bonaventure, cousin Deangelo, and friend Romano at the hands of an evil Catholic priest named Father Saul.

Giovanni Salzano The Traveling Mercenary: No Tears (Northern Company) by Jason Joseph Albano is a tale about Giovanni Salzano. Giovanni joined the Northern Company after the death of Marcus Felix Brutus, leader of the Hvar Rebellion. Marcus recommended him to Vayssière (leader of the Northern Company) in his dying breath. When he joined the Vayssière, he pledged his loyalty to the mercenaries and followed the way of the mercenaries, who put coins before anything. He met Benjamin Bakker and Jerry Lancaster, whom he became close to. The company went on various missions and succeeded. But after a few months, Giovanni reminisced about his past life and reflected on his latest action in the company, making him think of the path he had chosen. Would Giovanni still seek vengeance? Or would he listen to the wise counsel of Marcus Felix Brutus about the spoils of vengeance? Find out more about Giovanni Salzano when you grab a copy of this novel.

I admired the character development in this novel, which was based on true-life events. The author made a good effort to reflect the assumed character behavior in the novel; he exhibited William de Croy as a master of trickery and Duke Karl von Egmond of the Red Hat as a cunny man whose desire for coins makes him do unimaginable things. I also admired the descriptions of fighting scenes narrated by the author in this novel; the descriptions were surreal, raw, and horrendous. Every slice and cut gave room for imagination as I savored every bit of combat. Another thing that I loved about this novel is the part where Giovanni takes time to reflect on his past life and relive the good old memories he had with the people he loved and cared for. I also liked how the author described Margaret of Austria's role in this novel: as the former regent to Charles V who lost to William de Croy's craftiness, she patiently waited and planned her devious way to get back to her rightful place beside Duke Burgundy of the Netherlands, which is Charles V.

There is nothing I found dislikeable about this book; I found every chapter worthwhile reading. It wasn't only interesting to read, but it was educational as it granted me a bit of historical knowledge of the ancient Netherlands in the 1500s. I got to learn about coffee's first introduction to Europe and how it happened.

This novel deserves a credit rating of 4 out of 5 stars because I loved it, but I couldn't give it a much better rating because I noticed many errors in the book, and I believe the editors could have done better in the editing of this novel.

Are you a history lover? Do you enjoy reading books that introduce various languages? Are you a lover of ancient battle scenes? If you are, then this novel is for you, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to lovers of the types of novels listed above.

No Tears (Northern Company)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for the fantastic review of Giovanni Salzano The Traveling Mercenary: No Tears (Northern Company). You have painted a vivid picture of the character development and fighting scenes narrated in the book, which make me anticipate reading it even more. I appreciate your thorough summary of the novel and how it introduced you to various historical events; I'm excited to gain more knowledge through this book. Although the errors were noticed, it's wonderful to hear that this didn't hinder the excellence in the book. I am undeniably a lover of ancient battle scenes and a history enthusiast, and your recommendation has motivated me to get a copy of the book. Thank you!
Joshua Olayomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestwriter77.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Joshua Olayomi »

The author's attention to historical detail adds an extra layer of authenticity to the novel.

The mention of the book's basis in true-life events adds to my interest in the story. Thanks
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Pal, I will be on your side in acquiring ancient knowledge.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

I've encountered many reviews of this book, and I've also read it myself, finding that our perspectives align quite closely. I appreciate you sharing your candid opinions about the book and encourage you to continue producing excellent reviews.

Return to “Historical Fiction”