Review of The Curse of Northam Bay

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amandaruth Ama
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Review of The Curse of Northam Bay

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curse of Northam Bay" by Keith F Girard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The curse upon the village of Northam Bay came to be when Matthew Williams, the young charge of the undertaker Phineas Reed, lost the head of Lucas Johnston in an iniquitous theft on his way to deliver Johnston's body to his wife in October of 1692. Lucas Johnston is a learned farmer who was accused of witchcraft and sentenced to death by hanging by the members of the Puritan Church.

John and Elie Stevens moved from Minnesota to Boston with their two kids, Jenny and Tommie, when John got a job at AdvanceTech, a promising startup in Boston. In their quest to find a comfortable living space, they discovered that they had underestimated the cost of living in Boston and would have to live somewhere outside the city. In their search, John stumbled upon the contact information for Oliver McCarty, a real estate agent who found the perfect house for them. It happened to be the house of Martha Wright, a direct descendant of the Wright family in Northam Bay, who was ostracized in the village for the role Margaret Wright played in the death of Lucas Johnston in 1692. The Stevens, ignorant of the secret that lurked behind the walls of the house and of the village, accepted to buy the property and make it theirs. When Claire Bronson and her daughter Maggie visited their new neighbor and shed more light on their knowledge of the fishing village and their house, Elie Stevens decided to embark on a summer history project to learn more about Northam Bay, with Tommie and Maggie as the key researchers. Will the kids be able to find the missing head of Lucas Johnston, salvage their house from being taken from them, and unravel the mystery behind Martha Wright's death?

The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F. Girard is a parallel story, half of which is historical and the other half a modern twist on the first half, all of which takes place in Northam Bay, a fictional New England commercial fishing village. In the literary work, the author successfully conveys the message of the detrimental impact of greed and covetousness while also highlighting the importance of forgiveness. The portrayal of the character's actions and consequences serves as a warning against the dangers of being consumed by one's desires. The author's talent for seamlessly connecting present and past events is a testament to his writing skills. By interweaving different timelines, the author was able to provide a deeper and more nuanced understanding of the story and its characters. This skillful use of narrative structure enhanced my experience and made the story all the more engaging and memorable. It allowed me to create more intricate and nuanced narratives while also keeping me engaged and invested in the story.

The characters Tommie and Maggie in the story exhibit traits of adventure and fearlessness that are not only admirable but also inspiring, and I wish I had such characteristics, at least as much as they did. They take risks and embrace challenges in pursuing their goals, demonstrating an unwavering determination to achieve what they set their minds to. These traits serve as a reminder of the importance of courage and resilience in the face of adversity and the power of determination to achieve success.

Additionally, the unwavering love and support shown by the mothers of both children is a testament to the importance of familial bonds and the role of parents in shaping their children's character. The mothers' unconditional love and guidance serve as a model for parenting and remind us of the importance of providing a solid foundation of support and encouragement to our children in their pursuits.

Generally, the book is interesting and would have deserved a perfect rating if not for the many errors I encountered while reading it. Hence, I am rating it 4 out of 5 stars, removing a star from the rating because of the errors I encountered. I highly recommend The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F. Girard to those who enjoy historical fiction dipped in satire and horror. This book encompasses a wide range of themes, making it a compelling and thought-provoking read for a diverse audience. Overall, the story highlights essential lessons about the human condition and provides inspiration and guidance for readers seeking to navigate life's challenges.

The Curse of Northam Bay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”