Review of A Striving After Wind

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: A Forgotten Door Called Home by Rev. Cheryl Kincaid

Review of A Striving After Wind

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Striving After Wind" by Sharon Traner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Winston family's journey continues in Shannon Town, Iowa, in A Striving After Wind: Part II by Sharon Traner. Matthew Winston has not wholly recovered from the death of his wife, Kathleen, yet he is determined to make their farm successful. His eldest daughter, Annie, has naturally taken responsibility for the family. The rest of the boys have pitched in to get the farm working. The war in Vietnam is still raging, and Annie constantly worries about her brother, Luke, who is undergoing military training. Mack is battling his secret demons, which he must overcome or end up losing Penny, the woman he loves. Soon, the whole family discovers that the fear for Luke's safety might be just one of their problems. Unexpected visitors come calling, and uncertain calls come through, all with news threatening the bond that holds the family together.

This book spoke to the heart and emotions with its beautiful love stories. One remarkable quality of this story was that it was effortlessly natural. It could be easy to forget that the book was fictional, as the story felt real and potent. Every plot development and twist was palpably felt. Whether readers read the first book or not, they would likely be drawn to the Winstons and their friends. They were the quintessence of the large, boisterous family that would leave you feeling nostalgic for a close-knit big family of your own. You should read the first book, though.

Most of the characters were vulnerable individuals, and as it happened, some of the characters were their own antagonists. The characters were all fighting personal battles from within and against the time in which their stories unfolded. Annie's devotion to her family made it easy to feel and be inspired by her character. Mack and Thomas's hot-headed dispositions were irritating but aroused sympathy because of the emotional turmoil their actions indicated. With Andrew and Sonny, their quiet manner would draw out readers' protective instincts. For a close-knit family, the Winston siblings were unique, making this book a fun read, as each character brought their brand of spice. There was no dull moment in the Winston household.

Some deeply emotional moments might reduce readers to tears from pain and joy. The historical aspect of the book was insightful. The story reflected the posture of society in that period as seen from the societal expectation of women and the prevalent racial discrimination. The most insightful was the glimpse of the emotional and physical toll of war on young fighters and their families.

The story was enjoyable to read — a beautiful blend of romance, history, and family. The book was professionally edited, although there were a few spelling issues. All in all, there was nothing to dislike. This book would be best suited to lovers of historical romance. After considering all aspects of this book, I would give it a perfect five out of five stars.

A Striving After Wind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'd like to follow Luke and Mack. Their characters intrigued me. I hope that Luke will home safely from the war and Mack would successfully fight his demons inside. Your review is compelling, Nzube!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The book seems to be an emotional roller-coaster. Your introduction helped me understand the basic family tree as i have not read part 1. However, the review was enough to make me excited to read the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”