Review of Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianca Morano
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: White Nights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianca-morano.html
Latest Review: High Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight

Re: Review of Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation

Post by Bianca Morano »

Thanks for the very engaging review of this book. At first, I thought it would be about fruits but it's actually just a metaphor for something. I think that part made me curious about what it's all about. It has an interesting plot for a historical fiction that explores around communist terrorism movement in Thailand. I would like to read this book someday.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Bianca Morano wrote: 10 May 2023, 12:37 Thanks for the very engaging review of this book. At first, I thought it would be about fruits but it's actually just a metaphor for something. I think that part made me curious about what it's all about. It has an interesting plot for a historical fiction that explores around communist terrorism movement in Thailand. I would like to read this book someday.
Thank you for reading and commenting! It's informative and not dull. I hope you like it!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for this comprehensive review Sara. I have read one Vietnam war book: Deadly waters, it was heart-breaking but well written. I think I will like this one as well. I like how well-constructed your review is, there's details of chapters and the author's attention to detail, and it all sounds great.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Kavita Shah wrote: 12 May 2023, 09:55 Thank you for this comprehensive review Sara. I have read one Vietnam war book: Deadly waters, it was heart-breaking but well written. I think I will like this one as well. I like how well-constructed your review is, there's details of chapters and the author's attention to detail, and it all sounds great.

And it is very comic too - the author included stories that makes us laugh and the theme is lighter on the war side.
Hope you like it!
Thank you v much for your comment.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu wrote: 12 May 2023, 15:23
Kavita Shah wrote: 12 May 2023, 09:55 Thank you for this comprehensive review Sara. I have read one Vietnam war book: Deadly waters, it was heart-breaking but well written. I think I will like this one as well. I like how well-constructed your review is, there's details of chapters and the author's attention to detail, and it all sounds great.

And it is very comic too - the author included stories that makes us laugh and the theme is lighter on the war side.
Hope you like it!
Thank you v much for your comment.
😄
I'd prefer that too, comic, laughter, and makes one smile. Light on the war side works for me.🤠
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu wrote: 09 May 2023, 14:21
Omneya Shakeep wrote: 09 May 2023, 11:32 My first impression after reading the book title is that it is a cooking book. I was a bit surprised to find it a thriller, action, and espionage novel after reading your review, Sara. You did an amazing job with the analysis and overview; it made me curious about the reason behind the book title. Is it some sort of code between spies? I hope to find out soon after reading it. 😉
Thank you Omneya! I hope you like it as much as I did. Yeah, apricot marmalade is sort of a code 😁 we must discuss this one if you do read 👏
Definitely, Sara. I'm looking forward to it.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

👏👏👏

I love espionage thrillers, and from the way you dissected this book, I'm definitely going to read this one! Your review has piqued my interest, and I'd love to know what apricot marmalade meant to those army guys. Three-vehicle surveillance is also Greek to me, so I'm eager to find out what it is. This art piece really seems action-packed and full of multiple interesting subplots--just what I love in a book! Your passionate review is/was so enjoyable to read, Sara, thank you! And congratulations!

(Sorry, I was late for this one😉😁 been a bit held up of late).
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

This review is interesting and honest. Keep it up.
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Thanks for your thorough and passionate review. This sounds like such an interesting idea for a historical fiction novel. Do you know the title of the prequel? I'm thinking to read that first to get the full experience of the book.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Blackstenius wrote: 13 May 2023, 17:42 👏👏👏

I love espionage thrillers, and from the way you dissected this book, I'm definitely going to read this one! Your review has piqued my interest, and I'd love to know what apricot marmalade meant to those army guys. Three-vehicle surveillance is also Greek to me, so I'm eager to find out what it is. This art piece really seems action-packed and full of multiple interesting subplots--just what I love in a book! Your passionate review is/was so enjoyable to read, Sara, thank you! And congratulations!

(Sorry, I was late for this one😉😁 been a bit held up of late).
Thank you so much for reading! And don't worry, you are not late at all 😁
I would love to know your thoughts on this one. Please let me know once you post a review about it 😁
Thank you for all your support! 🙏
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Jê Wë wrote: 13 May 2023, 20:59 This review is interesting and honest. Keep it up.
Thank you v much!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Shally Z wrote: 14 May 2023, 06:28 Thanks for your thorough and passionate review. This sounds like such an interesting idea for a historical fiction novel. Do you know the title of the prequel? I'm thinking to read that first to get the full experience of the book.
Hi Shally,

Thanks for reading & commenting. I believe the experience will be much better if you do that. I have a feeling the prequel might even better based on what know from the second book.

The prequel is called "Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal".
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu wrote: 14 May 2023, 08:30
Shally Z wrote: 14 May 2023, 06:28 Thanks for your thorough and passionate review. This sounds like such an interesting idea for a historical fiction novel. Do you know the title of the prequel? I'm thinking to read that first to get the full experience of the book.
Hi Shally,

Thanks for reading & commenting. I believe the experience will be much better if you do that. I have a feeling the prequel might even better based on what know from the second book.

The prequel is called "Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal".
Thanks Sara! Now I'm even more curious as to what "Apricot Marmalade" means in the books. I've just taken a look and seems like the prequel is a satire too 😮
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

I'm glad to hear that you found no flaws in the book and that it was well-edited. It's always frustrating to come across typos or errors while reading, so it's good to know that the author paid attention to the details. I will try to read the book
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Christabel Ify Benson wrote: 15 May 2023, 09:55 I'm glad to hear that you found no flaws in the book and that it was well-edited. It's always frustrating to come across typos or errors while reading, so it's good to know that the author paid attention to the details. I will try to read the book
I agree. Errors can be so distracting. This one was definitely professionally edited.
Thank you for commenting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”