Review of Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Review of Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation" by Lon Orey.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The year 1968 was tragic in the United States with the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert F. Kennedy. During that year, in Vietnam, US soldiers were also being attacked by both the North Vietnamese and communist Viet Cong forces. Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation by Lon Orey is a fictional novel that occurred alongside these events in a neighbouring nation, Thailand.

Special Agents Reynolds, Bonner, Wilson, Dunn, and Cooper are agents assigned to the 187th Military Intelligence (MI) Detachment, operating in Bangkok. After a terrible incident in the north, Special Agent Irv Bonner is transferred to Chiang Mai to focus on the occurrences in the northern area of Thailand. Once there, Irv starts looking for answers and those responsible for what happened; however, he doesn't realise his life is imminently at risk. The communist insurgency attacks are also increasing in the area, and they are now being supported by China and the Soviets. Back in Bangkok, Special Agent Ed Reynolds became aware of another impending threat. A physics student threatens to detonate a nuclear device unless his demands are met. The Military Intelligence, CIA, and Thai armed forces will unite to fight and eliminate this threat and save thousands of people in the country. Will they be able to stop the student on time? Will Irv find out what happened in the North? Read this book to find out more about the communist terrorism movement in Thailand and what apricot marmalade means to our MI guys.

This six-part book is made up of small chapters, each of which focuses on different characters, locations, and/or contexts. This writing choice was appropriate, as this book doesn't have one hero but a team of them. There are also many side stories added for entertainment only. The author did an excellent job describing the Thai environment, such as its weather, the bargain, the tribes, the gardens, the animals, etc. I travelled there while reading the book, and I could almost feel its climate. Another remarkable detail is how well the author captures the essence of the epoch. I believe that Americans who were adults in 1968 will get nostalgic about those times. The author includes many US references to sports, music, cinematography, and politics.

Not being a romance book, it also describes a sweet love story between Darika and Irv. Irv's development as a result of being detached on his own to Chiang Mai is impressive, and I appreciate how solid his growth was. Doug and Marilyn's relationship also developed at a very good pace, from fun to love. I particularly liked knowing how the Vietnam War affected other countries. Lon Orey shows great knowledge about how military intelligence works. For instance, the three-vehicle surveillance was never so well explained or evidenced to me before.

On the negative side, the titles and other small details in the book gave away what was going to happen, and that took away the unpredictability the story needed to keep the readers on the edge of their seats. For example, the car explosion and its intentional victim were clear to me when Part III was labelled "The car bomb." Also, the faith of Kasem Rapaat, who was spying for the Americans, was evident when he was handed a recorder while the Americans were trying to rescue him.

I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author is extremely creative; hence, his work has a good plot but is also very realistic in its espionage operational side and historical context. The events anticipated as described before didn't keep me from enjoying this story, as many others were completely unforeseeable. Furthermore, this book is professionally edited, making its reading easy.

I would recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, especially those looking for something out of the ordinary. This is also perfect for fans of espionage. Although this book can be read as a standalone, I believe the characters will have more depth if the prequel is read first. The book includes violent scenes that might affect sensitive readers.

Apricot Marmalade and the Sangsuwan Equation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Espionage thrillers are always tough to compete. Your review is excellent as it points out a negative point which even I have witnessed in some thrillers. The name of the chapters should not be as transparent. It should still hold some sort of suspense.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It's so nice to travel places by reading a book, as you mentioned, Sara. The Thai environment is almost in PH. I'm glad it feels like you are there. I enjoyed your summary of the book. I haven't known the history of Marmalade yet in Thailand. It's amazing to read your review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Based on the title, I had no idea what this book would be about. It sounds like a unique and engaging read, but I did have to chuckle at the title of Part III--so much for suspense, at least around what would happen to the car. :D

Thank you for an excellent review and introduction to this out-of-the-ordinary historical fiction.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Sarah Zain »

I was wondering what is this book is about ? Thanks to you I know now. This is Nicely detailed review 👍 . You explained the aspects of the book neatly and tidy. That I would like to read it a try one day.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Aswin3848 wrote: 07 May 2023, 13:50 Espionage thrillers are always tough to compete. Your review is excellent as it points out a negative point which even I have witnessed in some thrillers. The name of the chapters should not be as transparent. It should still hold some sort of suspense.
Thank you very much for your comment. I have a tendency to look for clues so anything will trigger my curiosity but at the same time i hate knowing what's going to happen! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment 😄
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 07 May 2023, 18:31 It's so nice to travel places by reading a book, as you mentioned, Sara. The Thai environment is almost in PH. I'm glad it feels like you are there. I enjoyed your summary of the book. I haven't known the history of Marmalade yet in Thailand. It's amazing to read your review!
It's the only Asian country I have ever been so it brought nice memories 😁 thank you so much for your comment!
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 07 May 2023, 18:33 Based on the title, I had no idea what this book would be about. It sounds like a unique and engaging read, but I did have to chuckle at the title of Part III--so much for suspense, at least around what would happen to the car. :D

Thank you for an excellent review and introduction to this out-of-the-ordinary historical fiction.
The title is a mystery until you read it so there is suspense there ahaha

Thank you so much for your comment 🙏☺️
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Sarah Zain wrote: 07 May 2023, 22:13 I was wondering what is this book is about ? Thanks to you I know now. This is Nicely detailed review 👍 . You explained the aspects of the book neatly and tidy. That I would like to read it a try one day.
Thank Sarah. If you like espionage I totally recommend 😁 I would love to read your review if you ever do it.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Thank you for this excellent review, Sara. I loved the plot of this book. It sounds very intriguing. I will definitely add it to my 'To read' list.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Nisha DSouza wrote: 08 May 2023, 23:47 Thank you for this excellent review, Sara. I loved the plot of this book. It sounds very intriguing. I will definitely add it to my 'To read' list.
Thank you, Nisha. I found it interesting too. I would love to hear your thoughts on this one after you read it
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

My first impression after reading the book title is that it is a cooking book. I was a bit surprised to find it a thriller, action, and espionage novel after reading your review, Sara. You did an amazing job with the analysis and overview; it made me curious about the reason behind the book title. Is it some sort of code between spies? I hope to find out soon after reading it. 😉
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

The cover and the description of the book don't match for me. It's a team of heroes but I can only see one man holding a gun and running towards the other man. I felt it would've been better for the people who judge the book by its cover so that they get the idea of how great a fiction novel with realistic plots is there inside for them. This is an amazingly detailed and thorough review!
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 09 May 2023, 11:32 My first impression after reading the book title is that it is a cooking book. I was a bit surprised to find it a thriller, action, and espionage novel after reading your review, Sara. You did an amazing job with the analysis and overview; it made me curious about the reason behind the book title. Is it some sort of code between spies? I hope to find out soon after reading it. 😉
Thank you Omneya! I hope you like it as much as I did. Yeah, apricot marmalade is sort of a code 😁 we must discuss this one if you do read 👏
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Currently Reading:

Anil G wrote: 09 May 2023, 11:43 The cover and the description of the book don't match for me. It's a team of heroes but I can only see one man holding a gun and running towards the other man. I felt it would've been better for the people who judge the book by its cover so that they get the idea of how great a fiction novel with realistic plots is there inside for them. This is an amazingly detailed and thorough review!
I had no idea it was about a group of agents either but it was on the historical fiction tab so I was curious 😁 thank you v much for your comment !

Return to “Historical Fiction”