Review of Girl on a Golden Pillow

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Girl on a Golden Pillow

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Girl on a Golden Pillow" by Hugo Woolley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Girl on a Golden Pillow by Hugo Woolley is the first in a historical trilogy that follows the life of a beautiful young teenager named Charlotte. She lost her mother when she was born and was forced to be raised by her aunt, Stella, and her husband, who showed little to no care for her well-being. When Paris got invaded by the Nazis, in connivance with Bo, Charlotte was forced to hide her true identity and pretend to be Bo’s daughter, Freya, for her safety. The Parisian mansion left to her by her grandma was occupied by the SS, and the men in the house were attracted by her girly allure. She wasn't frightened by the chaos around her; she decided to see it as an adventure. She fell in love with Jost Krupp, a charming SS officer. Read through the pages of this book to learn more about Charlotte and enjoy the full scope of this story.

I love the romantic aspect of this book, starting from the forbidden romance between Joseph and Alice to that of Jost and Charlotte. It helped set a relaxed mood which was different from the tense atmosphere that surrounded the story due to the upcoming war. The author’s descriptions of the characters, locations, and events in this book were very well done. He gave enough details that would easily create a pictorial representation of the events and places in this story in a reader’s mind, and I believe that added to the beauty of the book. Enough suspense was present in this book, especially surrounding the invasion of Paris. One character I took an instant liking to was Theodora. Despite being a minor character, her presence in the story was really felt. I loved how she cared and always looked out for Charlotte, especially how she never entertained the idea of Charlotte joining her line of business but was concerned about getting her to safety instead. I would also say that this book was perfectly edited because I found absolutely no grammatical errors in it.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. The detailed description of events by the author made for a profound and satisfying read.

I rate Girl on a Golden Pillow by Hugo Woolley 5 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed every part of the story. Nothing about the author’s writing style or the characters makes me want to remove a star from it.

I recommended this book to the demographic of readers who are interested in historical fiction with a touch of romance.

Girl on a Golden Pillow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for this wonderful review of Girl on a Golden Pillow! I'm intrigued by the romantic aspect and the author's ability to balance it with the tension of war. The detailed descriptions and well-developed characters make it even more enticing. Adding it to my must-read list!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for such a detailed and well-executed review Your insightful description of the book gave me a clear picture of what to expect when I read it. I appreciate that you elaborated on the main character's journey and how she navigated through the various challenges that came her way. I'm also happy to learn that the author managed to paint vivid images of the characters and events in the story, making it easy for readers to imagine and follow through. From your review, I can tell that this book would be a must-read for fans of historical novels with a romantic twist. Thanks again for the review, I can't wait to dive into this fantastic book!

Return to “Historical Fiction”