Review of Heather

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Review of Heather

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heather" by Steven A. Yagyagan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Life is never as it seems or as we want it to be. And in life, sometimes we ask God why some bad things happen to us, and that begins to make us wonder if it's because of our sins or the sins of our parents. That was how Heather was thinking because of the terrible things that had happened to her. Heather: Tuu Maia Lou Lima Give Me Your Hand is a book by Steven A. Yagyagan that details the life of Heather, who was a victim of child abuse. The story starts in American Samoa, where Heather's mother, Manaia, lived with her parents, and gradually progresses to the birth of Heather and how she went through mean and inhumane circumstances, mostly caused by the people she looked up to as her family. You would be shocked by how Heather was able to have a kind, pure, and loving heart despite the circumstances and terrible conditions she faced.

I felt heartbroken after reading about what Heather had to pass through at a very young age and how she was treated with less love by those whom she called family. I felt sad most of the time, wishing there were ways I could help her and make her feel at peace. At some point, I felt like she was bearing the sins of her parents because of all that had happened to her.

What I admired about this book was how strong a lady she grew up to be, and despite her struggles and maltreatment, she still had a kind and loving heart. I cherished how she learned to be at peace and forgive those who hurt her in various ways. The short sentences that were said at the end of each chapter are also what I admire; though they were said in Samoan, they were also translated into English. Furthermore, I liked how Heather's siblings JJ and Clarice loved her and reminded her they were always there for her, and also how her elder brother Rudy stood up for and defended her.

I didn't find anything to criticize or dislike about this book. I found some errors while reading, and a sentence sounded incomplete on one of the pages I read. That didn't stop me from enjoying this book, as I was mixed with sad and happy feelings while reading some chapters. Also, this book contained profane words, so those who dislike such things might find it disturbing. Apart from these, this book was amazing to read. For these reasons, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to those who have been victims of abuse or child abuse, as they will learn from Heather's experience.

Heather
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Anabel Mack
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

I too have usually thought about this. Could it be that our sins are responsible for our various tribulations or that, that of our parents are?
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

People who grow up to be kind and compassionate even after what she has gone through are amazing. I’ve never liked the concept of children suffering for their parent’s sin. Nice review!
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Abuse and especially child abuse are tough topics to read about. I like the message of hope that Heather grows up to have a kind, pure and loving heart. Just thinking about child abuse makes me think about profane words, so they will probably not be misplaced in this book.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80291
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 786%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

A woman who overcome tremendous hardship and trauma to build a new for herself and her children.the story is full of hope she survived 60yrs of abuse
Ihotu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ihotu »

It sounds like this is a powerful and emotional book that deeply affected you. Your empathy for Heather's struggles and admiration for her resilience shine through in your review. It's commendable that you appreciate the strength she developed despite the hardships. Your detailed feedback, including the mention of some errors and the presence of profane words, adds a balanced perspective to your review. Giving it a 5-star rating indicates the profound impact the book had on you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this moving story.
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

Your contemplation about the complexities of life and the resilience of Heather despite her hardships is incredibly touching.
Prince Ekeoma
Currently Reading: The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Prince Ekeoma »

"Heather" by Steven A. Yagyagan. An interesting book, talks about Heather and thinking how her life has been for her. The terrible things in her life. Heather has been a victim of child abuse even at a very young age. She was treated with less love by mostly her family and that never augur well for Heather. Heather still grew up despite her circumstances she grew up becomIng strong, having loving and kind heart. Congrats on your #BOTD.
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

Thanks for the review!! A good story of survival against all odds, victory over hardships, trials and tribulations that life throws at you and still not giving up on onself and life, is what is needed on so many days to lift us up!!
Stories with a sense of redemption in the end is what humans need to push through life, in general! I don't need this kind of a book at this point, but know what to recommend to a person who's been through abuse in life. Thankyou to the author for creating this as well!!!
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Heart-wrenching and inspiring, 'Heather: Tuu Maia Lou Lima: Give Me Your Hand' unveils Heather's resilience amid unimaginable abuse. The Samoan backdrop adds cultural richness to this tale of survival and perseverance.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: Madam Vice President by Julian Mann

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Child abuse is something that permanently leaves a scar on those who endured it. It is good to know that Heather turned out kind and strong she turned after having to ensure abuse at a young age from her own family. Congrats on BOTD.
Kinga Cmielewska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinga-cmielewska.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Kinga Cmielewska »

Hurting children in the same way as the main character was hurt leaves a mark on the child's psyche. You can follow the example of the heroine on how to become strong and loving despite past experiences.
Juliet Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-blessing.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Juliet Blessing »

This is so intriguing. I love how Heather did not let even the worst things change her heart. Do bad things happen as a result of our sin or our parents' sin? This is a question that crosses Heather's mind once she realizes how unlucky she is to go through suffering in the hands of family.

Code: Select all

Juliet_Blessing
Juliet Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-blessing.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Juliet Blessing »

This is so intriguing. I love how Heather did not let even the worst things change her heart. Do bad things happen as a result of our sin or our parents' sin? This is a question that crosses Heather's mind once she realizes how unlucky she is to go through suffering in the hands of family.

Code: Select all

Juliet_Blessing
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Mrs Geddes and other stories by Saman Mahanama Dissanayake

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This story addresses the issue of child abuse and family mistreatment. However, it is inspiring as it shows how Heather faces these difficulties, overcomes them and remains kind and loving.

Return to “Historical Fiction”