Review of The 13th of Summer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: Saschaisms by Sascha Bridges Angela Ziska

Review of The 13th of Summer

Post by Hager Salem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 13th of Summer" by Charlene Pratt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Betty was a tiny girl who lived with her big family on the South Dakota prairie. Their life was far from easy, and they went through a lot. Betty had loving parents who worked hard for their children. Back in the time when they lived, life was hard, and every member of the family had a duty to help. Did the cooperation of the family protect them from what was meant to be? Could they stand together against fate? That's what you'll know when you grab The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt.

The book presents some scenes from this family's life. I loved the sincere emotions in it. When I read the book, I felt like I went back in time and that I was there with the family. The cover of the book is very expressive. You can feel dust coming out of it, and you can feel dust coming out of the book's pages as well.

I liked how the families were supportive of each other; people ran for help whenever needed. I liked how the parents were kind to their children even when things got hard. For example, when Betty got lost in the storm, her father talked kindly to her and tried to reassure her. Also, I learned a lot about bad weather and what bad storms could do back then.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. I mostly felt sorry for the hardships people faced and had to go through, but I liked the calm tone in telling the story. The book received professional editing. I could only notice two minor errors. Therefore, I rate The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt five out of five stars. It was an enjoyable read, although sad. I recommend the book to people who like to read about families in the past. You'll see how they lived and what they faced. I have to warn you, though, that the book isn't cheerful and has some unfortunate events.

The 13th of Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Family stories are filled with characters that have their own story to tell. The support from each other makes the story more viable and easy to comprehend. Nice review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”