Review of But Now I See

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Toria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of But Now I See

Post by Amy Toria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But Now I See" by Ross Phillips.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

But Now I See presents the life of Nathan Ezra Butterfield, whose every page of existence was marked by the unfortunate demise of his loved ones. These events caused him to question the existence of God and take for granted the forces of life until, just like Paul, his eyes were opened to see the unending grace of God in his life.

On a hot summer morning in rural southern Pennsylvania, in Europe, a boy was born into the family of Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Butterfield. They were farmers, and Mr. Ezra was the pastor of a church in Pennsylvania. Because of Mr. Ezra's love for the Bible, the boy was named Nathan, and later on, his brother was named Joshua. Following the tragic experience of his mother's death after giving birth to his sister Rachael, Nathan began to lose faith in God. Some years after the incident, Nathan's older teacher died and was replaced by Mr. Oversby. Due to his compassionate character, Nathan sought to be a teacher and was enrolled in the Normal School in Albany, New York, to pursue his teaching dreams. On the other hand, Joshua was also enrolled in the Lutheran Seminary School in Gettysburg.

Nathan, who had now become a teacher, taught in Kansas while Joshua worked in the hospital for the mentally ill in Harrisburg and then also in the U.S. After suffering a stroke twice, Ezra had now become very weak, but joy filled the hearts of everyone with the news of Rachael's marriage to Christian Taylor, who was a lawyer. The news of the civil war broke out upon the abolishment of the slave trade by Abraham Lincoln, the then-president of the United States. After suffering a very gruesome loss in the war and losing his sight, Nathan went through a life-changing experience that made him see the grace of God he had long taken for granted. What was this life-changing experience? Find out when you read But Now I See by Ross Phillips.

The narrative was a gripping tale that evoked various emotions within me. I admired the author's adept use of language and precise characterization, which vividly brought the story to life in my imagination. As I perused the pages, I found myself both laughing and shedding tears due to the author's ability to create a palpable atmosphere. Furthermore, the book aptly highlights parents' crucial role in instilling godly values in their children. It sheds light on the idea that parents' actions have a significant impact on their child's faith.

While reading this book, it felt as though the events unfolding within its pages primarily showcased God's wrath instead of His grace. I found myself contemplating how a benevolent God could take the lives of nearly all the people surrounding me just to showcase His grace. Throughout the book, I yearned to feel a sense of comfort, assurance, and peace that should accompany God's grace.

This book aims to portray the grace of God while also emphasizing resilience and acceptance in the face of situations beyond our control. It is a relatable account that could resonate with anyone, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack thereof. Furthermore, the book was professionally edited and deserving of a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

There was nothing about the book that I found unsatisfactory. I highly recommend this book to parents, as it emphasizes the profound impact their lifestyles can have on their children. Additionally, I suggest that individuals who enjoy reading hope-themed books should consider adding this book to their collection.

But Now I See
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sometimes a blind man can see more than the unblind man. The title, But Now I See, sends something from this story that something big happens and opens his eyes to the grace of God. I wonder how this life-changing experience changes Nathan deeply. Thanks for your exceptional review, Amy!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Historical Fiction”