Review of Aussie

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Aussie

Post by Kavita Shah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aussie" by Karen Lloyd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aussie by Karen Lloyd is a beautiful tale filled with sweet, funny, sad, and tragic events, all interwoven seamlessly. It tells the story of a farm girl and a pilot. Carey’s farmhouse billets pilots as it is near the airfield. One Sunday, a handsome guest pilot, Cabot, arrives. Their first encounter was a funny misunderstanding that cleared up after an awkward chat.

Within a few days, Cabot wins over the farm and its residents with his heroism and charm. His squadron worships him because of his ability to stay two steps ahead of the enemy and lead his troop safely in aerial battle. All the village girls give in to his charm; he is a Casanova. The ever-quiet little Faye speaks, eats, and reads, sharing a nameless bond with him. He is also the hero and friend of the boys. How did Carey let a drunk and flirty pilot, who commands his squad exceptionally well, become a part of her and her children’s lives?

I enjoyed reading Aussie. The banter and funny, angry, or awkward moments between Cabot and Carey were my favorite parts of the book. I laughed when they talked about Christmas gifts to buy for the children. Cabot’s aptitude for picking gifts is not ideal, so Carey furnishes him with hints, thereby deciding the gifts for the children. It was disheartening to read bad news at this time.

The author’s writing style was immersive and employed vivid imagery. She serenely describes a moment in all its beauty, so much so that one can easily visualize and feel the atmosphere and emotions. One example would be when Abbot and Captain (the farm horse) meet after Abbot returns, and he brushes Captain’s hair while Captain nips at his clothes. Cabot and the children playing and reading together were the most heartwarming scenes. The terrible parts were the events most common during the war. I relished reading all the hilarious and fortunate episodes and felt sad during the heartbreaking incidents.

The negative aspects were the numerous errors. I found incomplete and incorrect sentences and grammatical and typographical errors, indicating that the book had not been properly edited or proofread. These errors hindered me from understanding the story and decreased the clarity of some passages. I suggest the author have the book proofread and re-edited.

I rate Aussie three out of five stars. I liked the story for all the above reasons, but the numerous errors and unclear parts led me to deduct two stars. I recommend it to those readers who like to read stories about war with romance and family themes.

Aussie
View: on Bookshelves
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

Beautiful review. But I'm sad that the rating is just 3.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

The story has aspects of interest but the errors and incomplete sentences may cause trouble reading it. As usual Kavita honest and detailed review Well done 👏.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I like the storyline; it is amusing, tragic, and rich with events. I am disappointed to hear about the editing; it would have made this novel perfect if properly proofread. I enjoyed reading your summary and analysis of this novel, Kavita. It's making me eager to read it. Excellent job!👏
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think I'll enjoy Cabot and Carey's exciting acquaintance. I love the description of Cabot; he looks smashing, capturing every girl on the farm. The story seems fun. I would love to be entertained by this book. Your review, Kavita, is very interesting and compelling!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Navera A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-navera-a.html
Latest Review: Women of Fire and Snow by Nati del Paso

Post by Navera A »

Seems like an interesting book with lovely characters! I would love to give it a read sometime if it gets professionally edited.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Jê Wë wrote: 21 May 2023, 13:14 Beautiful review. But I'm sad that the rating is just 3.
Thank you Jê wë. It would have received a perfect score, but there were too many errors.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Jê Wë wrote: 21 May 2023, 13:14 Beautiful review. But I'm sad that the rating is just 3.
Thank you Jê wë. It would have received a perfect score, but there were too many errors.
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sarah Zain wrote: 21 May 2023, 15:50 The story has aspects of interest but the errors and incomplete sentences may cause trouble reading it. As usual Kavita honest and detailed review Well done 👏.
Thank you for the compliment Sarah! :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 21 May 2023, 16:43 I like the storyline; it is amusing, tragic, and rich with events. I am disappointed to hear about the editing; it would have made this novel perfect if properly proofread. I enjoyed reading your summary and analysis of this novel, Kavita. It's making me eager to read it. Excellent job!👏
It really is a beautiful novel, I would give anything to watch a movie made of it but the errors made it a bumpy journey. Thank you for the praise Omneya! :tiphat:
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 21 May 2023, 18:45 I think I'll enjoy Cabot and Carey's exciting acquaintance. I love the description of Cabot; he looks smashing, capturing every girl on the farm. The story seems fun. I would love to be entertained by this book. Your review, Kavita, is very interesting and compelling!
I believe, Karen's book has potential and the cover is lovely too. The title and cover caught my eye first then the story won my heart. ❤
You'll love the book Hannie, it just needs editing.
Thank you so much for the compliments! :tiphat: 💮
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

You are most welcome, Kavita! I can't wait to read that book.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Navera A wrote: 21 May 2023, 19:03 Seems like an interesting book with lovely characters! I would love to give it a read sometime if it gets professionally edited.
Thank you for the comment Navera! :tiphat:
You should definitely read it after it gets edited.😄
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 22 May 2023, 06:24 You are most welcome, Kavita! I can't wait to read that book.
🤗
:good-luck-smiley: :happy-wavemulticolor:

Return to “Historical Fiction”