Review of War Healer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of War Healer

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "War Healer" by Donald Harris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

War Healer by Donald Harris follows a Shawnee named Ochaba and his lonesome journey along the Ohi Yo River.

This man told everyone he met that he was a traveler who wished to see the river called Misi Sipi. In reality, he was seeking revenge for his wife's murder. Without even a last word, she had perished in his arms, taking their unborn child along with her. A warrior like him would not let this slide. He was out for blood. And thus, without caring about the danger or the distance, he alone chased after his enemies. Would he be able to find the ones responsible for the deaths of his family? How should he kill those guys to soothe his beloved people's souls? Who would he meet, and how would they affect him?

I enjoy the details about the lives of the Indians. It seems the author has spent a lot of time and effort researching them. There are many tribes featured in the story, and each of them has their own rules. The book gives us a clear view of their traditions and manners. From their mindsets to their methods of fishing/hunting, it brings about an authentic feeling. For example, the Quapaw won't allow teens younger than seventeen summers to kiss. The Miami won't be pleased seeing people trespassing on their hunting grounds and taking their food without permission.

On the downside, the plot is not very special. It is just another classical romantic novel. The author states that this is not a love story, but it's obviously not the case. You can tell from day one when Wayah clings to Ochaba and insists that both of them share his bed. While Ochaba firmly claims that he is not ready for a new wife, he still mates with Wayah the very next moment. I was hoping for a unique or creative healing story, but unfortunately, this one couldn't live up to that expectation. Since it uses the common trope, it was easy to predict the outcomes of the events. Additionally, I found numerous grammatical errors in the copy. That is also a huge letdown.

Considering the mentioned negative aspects, I rate this novel 3 out of 5 stars. I recommend it for those who are interested in Indian tribes and romantic novels that follow the old motif. However, if you want something innovative or unpredictable, you won't find it here.

War Healer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

From mindsets to methods of fishing and hunting, the authenticity of their way of life is well conveyed.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.

Return to “Historical Fiction”