Review of Of Lessons Lost

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Of Lessons Lost

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Lessons Lost" by Fred Snyder.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

S​ometimes reading a book is like drinking alcohol. At times one needs to gulp it down quickly and get it over with. Other times, one needs to sip and savor the beverage. This book falls somewhere in the middle. Of Lessons Lost is a 348-page, slow-paced story. It spans several generations and families whose lives evolve like twisted vines on a trellis.

F​red Snyder's historical fiction novel examines how past events impact lives in the present. As with many novels in this genre, revenge is a key factor. There are three main sections that span the years from 1942 to 2018. The setting bounces from Poland to Israel to Russia and to the USA. The challenges of Jewish life are portrayed through several generations of the Bikel family.

Although there is not a significantly designated protagonist, Avi Bikel is my choice, and the passages that revolve around him are my favorite. The relationships between Avi and his wife, Avi and his father, and Avi and the men who served with him are touching.

M​y least favorite passages are those that present facts like a history book. Because the information is delivered through dialogue, it is especially annoying. One character would ask another, "Did you know . . ." and then expound on the topic. These scenes are unrealistic and do not add to the story.

I suggest using a character chart while reading this book because keeping the family trees sorted out is difficult. I also suggest being tolerant of the stylistic grammar choices. I found no objective errors, but the subjective ones are plentiful.

S​nyder is to be admired for his research, his passion for religious tolerance, and his storytelling skills. Reading this book provides the opportunity to learn about aspects of the Zionist movement in an entertaining format. Due to the negatives mentioned earlier, my rating is four out of five.

Of Lessons Lost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

It'll be great to learn about challenges of Jewish life from this book. I'll check it out. Great review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Great review Diana!
A book in the middle, I like that.
I have an ecyclopedia sort of book and it has a small scientist cartoon that always asks the question
"Did you know"... That's fun to read. 😄
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I enjoyed your analogy of a "book in the middle". I completely agree that the style of writing can be a challenge to adapt to and will detract from the book itself. It does, however, sound like a book worth reading.

Return to “Historical Fiction”