Review of What Rotten Eggs

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Theis de Pareja
Currently Reading: Scenes, Stories & Scripts
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-theis-de-pareja.html
Latest Review: Toxie Puff Boy's Travel Guide To The Garden State by Anthony Zaza

Review of What Rotten Eggs

Post by Natalie Theis de Pareja »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Rotten Eggs" by Daniel M. White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What was it like on the island of Iwo Jima during the Vietnam War? In the book What Rotten Eggs, by Daniel M. White, the United States Coast Guard assigns Lieutenant Roy Fisher to the island as the Commanding Officer. Nervous about being sent there because of a previous assignment that didn’t go as planned, he goes into it with a by-the-book and take-charge attitude. Little does he know that things don’t always work out as expected, and sometimes you need to bend the rules. On the small, remote island with the stench of the sulfur pits, the lackadaisical attitude of the men, supply chain problems, and a possible spy make for a very peculiar year. Dive in as we follow Lieutenant Fisher on his adventure on Iwo Jima. Daniel M. White weaves a gripping tale that is hard to put down.

One of the things I enjoyed about the book is that the author makes it feel like you are on the tiny island of Iwo Jima. I could feel the heat and humidity of the island. He describes the sulfur pits so carefully that I could almost smell them. Another thing I enjoyed was that his attention to detail made it feel like I was a part of everything that was happening. Daniel M. White also used just a small number of military acronyms and explained what they were so you don’t have to try to figure them out on your own. The final thing I enjoyed was getting to the bottom of the mystery Lieutenant Fisher had to solve during his time on Iwo Jima. All in all, What Rotten Eggs was a delightful read.

The only part about reading the book What Rotten Eggs by Daniel M. White that I did not enjoy were the sheer number of grammatical errors. This book was not professionally edited, as seen by the many punctuation errors and misspelled words. While this did not detract from or ruin the story, it certainly was an annoyance while trying to read it. Other than that, there wasn’t anything else I did not enjoy.

Since somebody did not professionally edit this book, I must rate What Rotten Eggs by Daniel M. White only 4 out of 5 stars. If it weren’t for the grammatical errors, I would rate this book the maximum number of stars.

I recommend this book for teenagers and above. The reader does not have to enjoy reading books about the military as it is just a story about one man’s year-long experience on Iwo Jima that happens to be during the Vietnam War.

What Rotten Eggs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for such an honest and well-written review I appreciate your detailed commentary on how the author's attention to detail makes the reader feel like they are on the island of Iwo Jima, and how the story is hard to put down. It's great to hear that the author used a limited number of military acronyms and explained them well, making the story accessible to someone who isn't well-versed in military jargon. It's unfortunate that the book had a high number of grammatical errors, but I am glad to hear that it didn't detract too much from the overall enjoyment of the book. Your rating of four out of five stars is fair, and I'm sure others will appreciate knowing about the grammatical errors beforehand. Thank you again for your insightful review, and I hope you'll continue to read and enjoy my reviews in the future.

Return to “Historical Fiction”