Review of Billy Jones's Father

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Billy Jones's Father

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Billy Jones's Father" by Fred Engh.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Billy Jones's Father And the Apple Tree recounts a series of events that unfolded in the town of Torrid Hills, North Carolina. Sports hold immense significance in Torrid Hills, and every season, parents go wild trying to get their children to play for a team. Scotty Jones, a respected war veteran and a prominent figure in the community's athletic scene, becomes the focal point. He constantly belittles his son Arnold, comparing his baseball skills unfavorably to his own.

Arnold, burdened by the physical and emotional wounds inflicted by his father, lives in constant fear of him. When Arnold marries Sara, they have a son named Billy. At age 5, there is mounting pressure on Billy to excel in t-ball. Arnold, determined to shield Billy from the same abusive treatment, takes on the responsibility of coaching him to become a skilled athlete. The burning question remains: will Arnold turn out to be an abusive father? Or will he learn from Scotty's mistakes and become a better parent? To delve deeper into this story, pick up a copy of Billy Jones's Father And the Apple Tree by Fred Engh.

The book provided a concise and captivating reading experience, presenting various accounts of life in sports within Torrid Hills. The author dedicated efforts to chronicle instances where coaches pushed their students relentlessly to achieve baseball perfection. Among the stories, one that stood out was the deeply moving narrative of Charlie Dobrinski's unexpected turn of events. The coach's recklessness left me astounded, and I felt immense gratitude that Charlie's mother intervened just in time. Perhaps the situation could have taken a much graver turn if she hadn't acted swiftly.

The book's tone and mood resonated with me as well. Despite the presence of sensitive and serious events, there was a delightful touch of playfulness throughout its pages. Among the characters, my personal favorite was Sara. She possessed a remarkable ability to navigate and defuse Arnold's outbursts, demonstrating her support and wisdom. Her presence in the story was truly invaluable. On the other hand, Scotty's consistently abusive and vexing behavior made him an intensely dislikeable character. I felt a sense of satisfaction with the way his story concluded, considering the harm he inflicted on those around him.

The book displayed a level of professional editing, and the author's writing style was notably approachable and amiable. It successfully conveyed numerous valuable lessons while offering a fresh perspective on the sports culture within Torrid Hills. I have no reservations or complaints regarding this book, which leads me to grant it a well-deserved rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Sport enthusiasts and aspiring coaches across various disciplines will find great enjoyment in this book. Whether one is passionate about a particular sport or looking to enter the coaching field, this book provides a rich and engaging experience that will undoubtedly resonate with them.

Billy Jones's Father
View: on Bookshelves
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

This book sounds as capable to feed readers with information in the world of sports, and how to be resilience about someone's ambition.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

As a staunch sports enthusiast, I think this book would suit me perfectly fine. Sara seems like an interesting character to follow. I can't wait to get into this.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

I don't think I've ever read any book on sports before, However, I enjoy watching sport-related movies. That's why I'll love to try out this book, Nice review by the way.
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

This book appears to have the ability to provide readers with information about the world of sports and teach them how to develop resilience in pursuing their ambitions.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

The book will teach its readers about the sport and what effect unnecessary pressure on a child to excel at whatever sports they are doing usually lead to. Nice review!
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

I don't know much about the sports community culture, but I saw some examples of pushing the players more than they capable of. Your review is captivating and thorough.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Attaining perfection in life comes with sacrifice, I think I like the coach's attitude toward helping his students to attain perfection. Then I see mothers love, her swift action rescued the situation. This is an interesting review. I also love how you explained each character.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

This was a wonderfully written review. With it, I understood all the points raised and have gotten a concept as to what the hook is about.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY FRED ENGH WHICH TALKS ABOUT THE HUGE IMPORTANCE OF SPORT IN TORRID HILLS IN NORTH CAROLINA, SCOTTY JONES, HIS SON ARNOLD...
A BOOK FOR SPORTS FANS AND COACHES OF VARIOUS DISCIPLINES.GOOD REVIEW.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

I'm not particularly a fan of sports or coaching-related anything. I don't even like sports related movies. I find them really boring. Thanks for the review. I don't think that this is the book for me. Though Sara sounds like a go-getter, I nearly fell asleep reading the sample.
Marquesa
Favorite Book: A Promised Land
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marquesa.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by Marquesa »

Parents and coaches may have ambitions which could harm children and jeopardise relationships. Can’t wait to read the book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing historical fiction novel highlighting a small town, competitive parents, physical and emotional trauma, and growing up to be better than our parents. The book is temporarily discounted on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review.
One piece
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-one-piece.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by One piece »

Sports can sometimes lead fathers to become rude, driven by their obsession with the activity. This book delves into the consequences and effects resulting from such behavior. Great review
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I love an inspiring sports story. It never hurts when a coach pushes you to the limits because he sees the best in you. The book does seem a bit intense, but nonetheless a heartwarming story. Thank you for writing an honest and captivating review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Historical Fiction”