Review of Seeing Auras

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Review of Seeing Auras

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seeing Auras" by James Marlow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Elizabeth Carter, a 19-year-old stunning botanist, has been hired by Colonel Van Schuyler in his mansion to do some research on plant propagation. She is an orphan who has a gift to see auras, a light that appears out of the human body and is foreseen in the dark and shadow. Meanwhile, she met Benjamin Thomas, a very attractive man, on her way to the mansion. Fast-forward: Benjamin was hired as an assistant to Colonel Van and is part of the scientific experiment they do in the mansion. Consequently, Elizabeth and Benjamin had seen each other often, and soon enough, they built a romance. Colonel Van, together with his experiment buddies, Oskar Dolmetsch and Burke Cunningham, have been mostly in the séance and are being served by the maids. Margie, one of the maids, is pregnant, and the father is unknown. Elizabeth had seen her aura before, and it disturbed her. Later on, Margie disappeared. What happened to Margie? Who is the person behind this questionable occurrence? Read the book Seeing Auras: The Mysteries of Love, the Senses, and Murder by James E. Marlow to be thrilled by the unpredictable affairs offered.

The secretive relationship between Elizabeth and Benjamin is one of the highlights of the book. I'm always eager to know their next steps. The episode that touched me was when Benjamin was saddened by Elizabeth's prompt decision to go horseback riding with Burke. He walks off to town and gives unexpected gifts to the Williams family. Later on, that kindness was discovered by Elizabeth, and she burst into tears because something important supposedly happened between her and Benjamin the night she was with Burke.

In addition, the mystery side of the book was suspenseful and sometimes bewildering. I bolted when I found out that the pointed suspect for the murder was not Patrick but an unexpected character in the book. The author's interweaving of events and characters is unforeseeable, which flows the narrative intriguingly. Moreover, the journey of the Sensitifs (a German word for people who've seen auras) is curiously delivered, leaving the readers craving more. I thought that I could predict the outcome of their experiment about human auras, but I was wrong and was surprised by the Colonel's decision about their research in the end.

The narrative was exciting; however, I have criticisms of its delivery. The novel was slow-paced, which slightly affected my reading journey. I push myself hard to finish reading the book because I want to give it a chance. Fortunately, I didn't quit because half of the book until the closing part was entertaining to me. Due to the one criticism I stated earlier, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. I don't come up with any reason to lower the score because, aside from the positive aspects I've listed, the book's climax doesn't dismay me either. Besides, the book was edited by professionals, and I've seen only one minor error.

Seeing Auras: The Mysteries of Love, the Senses, and Murder is recommended to readers who enjoy mystery and crime blended with interesting love drama. If the slow pacing doesn't bother you, you will enjoy this legible book.

Seeing Auras
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for the detailed review Hannie! The summary part is well done. I get the gist of it and there's still more to find out about the story. But Seeing Auras is not for me. It has the elements I like but the slow pace of the story feels like a chore.
Good job on the review.👍
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Kavita Shah wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 12:48 Thank you for the detailed review, Hannie! The summary part is well done. I get the gist of it and there's still more to find out about the story. But Seeing Auras is not for me. It has the elements I like but the slow pace of the story feels like a chore.
Good job on the review.👍
Thank you so much, Kavita, for dropping this honest comment. I understand that every reader has a different interest in books.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

My goodness, I have so many questions, like what happened to Margie? Who is the father of her baby? And why so many séances? I don't really want the answers, because this isn't my cup of tea, but I have these questions nonetheless! :D

Thank you for your introduction to this dramatic mystery, Hazel Mae!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

It seems that the story holds many secrets, and the end contains a twist. Your review is thorough and clarified the important points in the book. Thank you Hazel for your honest opinion.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Ooh, this plot sounds like it might be a gradual build-up towards the finale. I'm so curious about the mystery side and what the final twist(s) will be. Thanks for your honest review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

MsH2k wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 19:22 My goodness, I have so many questions, like what happened to Margie? Who is the father of her baby? And why so many séances? I don't really want the answers, because this isn't my cup of tea, but I have these questions nonetheless! :D

Thank you for your introduction to this dramatic mystery, Hazel Mae!
Thank you so much, Donna, for your inquisitive comment. I understand that you are not one of those targeted audience of this book.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Sarah Zain wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 19:35 It seems that the story holds many secrets, and the end contains a twist. Your review is thorough and clarified the important points in the book. Thank you Hazel for your honest opinion.
Indeed, the ending was a big twist in the story. Even I was surprised about it. Thank you so much, Sarah, for your beautiful comment!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Shally Z wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 20:14 Ooh, this plot sounds like it might be a gradual build-up toward the finale. I'm so curious about the mystery side and what the final twist(s) will be. Thanks for your honest review.
Thank you for your interest in the book, Shally. Likewise, thank you for dropping a wonderful comment!
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

The theme is quite intriguing and your review has incited a curiosity. Thank you for the in-depth review! :)
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

ViviVivid wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 15:20 The theme is quite intriguing and your review has incited a curiosity. Thank you for the in-depth review! :)
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, ViviVivid! More so, for leaving a comment!
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

That's an interesting topic for a novel. Your excellently detailed summary made me eager to read this book. I might try it, despite its slow pace. I'm curious about Margie's aura and fate. Thank you for this outstanding review and recommendation, Hazel!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 19:57 That's an interesting topic for a novel. Your excellently detailed summary made me eager to read this book. I might try it, despite its slow pace. I'm curious about Margie's aura and fate. Thank you for this outstanding review and recommendation, Hazel!
Your comment and compliments, Omneya, always made me feel fulfilled. I'm excited to read every time you comment. Likewise, I'm excited to read your thoughts about this book when you ever get the chance to read this. Thank you so much, Omneya for your genuine compliments.
Bethany Kroeger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-kroeger.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Bethany Kroeger »

Oooo I love all the mystery there seems to be in this novel! I cannot wait to read it eventually! What a cool concept for a book, seeing people’s auras. Awesome review and thanks for all the detail!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:

Bethany Kroeger wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 21:11 Oh, I love all the mystery there seems to be in this novel! I cannot wait to read it eventually! What a cool concept for a book, seeing people’s auras. Awesome review and thanks for all the detail!
Your excitement about the book is manifesting. I think you will be thrilled with all the twists in this book. Thank you for your lively comment, Bethany.

(I like your name. One of my favorite Ted Talkers is Bethany Butzer.)

Return to “Historical Fiction”