Review of Their Winter Burn

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Review of Their Winter Burn

Post by MsChet Cherry »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Their Winter Burn" by Mary Ann Trail.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Captain Jeffrey Chadwick could still hear his wife's teeth chatter through her speech, even while she had on her warmest dress, as they stood outside in the bitter cold weather of Boston, waiting for Mr. Cushing, their new landlord, to show them around the property. Jeffrey Chadwick and his household migrated to the Americas in January 1805 in search of a new life. His intention was to supply the citizens of Boston with wine from Bordeaux and earn money as a wine merchant. When they realized that the wait for the landlord was becoming endless, they decided to shield themselves from the severe, gusty atmosphere and made their way into the house. They were relieved to find the door unlatched, even though that seemed very unusual. However, during the course of settling into the property, a terribly shocking revelation was made. How will this revelation affect the new immigrants? What becomes their fate at that moment? How will the people of Boston perceive them? Grab a copy of this book to find out.

Their Winter Burn is a historical mystery by Mary Ann Trail that describes the migration struggles experienced by Jeffrey Chadwick and his household during an extreme cold winter period. The book is part of a series but can be read as a standalone. In this captivating work of fiction, Mary Ann transported readers back to the nineteenth century, where they could experience the culture, technology, economy, conflict, and activities of the people of Boston in the Americas in the 1800s.

I found myself completely immersed in the book as the story continually unfolded. I enjoyed the author's simplified writing style, which reverberated throughout the story. As I continued to play the detective role without success, the tension build-up developed a delightful exhilaration of wondering what happened next in the novel. The character development by the author is pretty fascinating, as I found the characters to be fully realized, unique, and relatable. I developed a special liking for Mairi, whose outspoken and pragmatic nature endeared her to everyone around her. There are valuable lessons to be drawn from Jeffrey's beautiful wife, Georgina, whose modesty, generosity, and bravery throughout the story had a good effect on her family and those around her.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the book, the extraneous details that ruined various sections of the plot did not sit well with me. The constant repetition of the daily activities of Jeffrey and his household, for instance, became boring at some point. Apart from this, I have nothing else to dislike about the book. It was well-written and professionally edited.

I have no reason, therefore, not to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars since the above-mentioned dislike did not interfere with my enjoyment of this book. I realized that even though the book cover appeared to be a romance novel, it contained very minor romantic scenes. So, I recommend it to young adult readers who are interested in historical mysteries and adventure.

Their Winter Burn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

The author's writing style is indeed commendable. I appreciate how Mary Ann Trail simplified the prose, making it accessible and easy to follow while still maintaining a sense of authenticity. It's not always easy to strike that balance, but in this case, it really added to the overall enjoyment of the book. I found myself effortlessly drawn into the story and eagerly turning the pages to uncover the next twist and turn.
Collins Umunnakwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collins-umunnakwe.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Collins Umunnakwe »

A beautiful one. My love for mystery is unbridged. Keep up the good work
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

I enjoyed reading your review. I was somewhat disappointed when I read the part where you announced that the book isn't as romantic as it seems on the cover page. Thank you for your review anyway.
Sheen Jenny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheen-jenny.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Sheen Jenny »

Your review is nice. The introduction is very intriguing and makes me want to read the book.
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

The book has an intriguing cover page and the protagonist name rings a bell. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thanks to the reviewer for an awesome review.
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nkem Blessing »

Good job well done. The idea of suspense is really fascinating as I look forward to read the book. Your review is very nice. Keep it up
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Leaving aside the period in which it takes place, which for me in particular is a PLUS, it catches me that the story is evoked in the gradual development of the drama that, according to what you say, is very well achieved.

I hope to read it soon. thanks for your review.
Agbata Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Wow
What a wonderful review. This piece has captivated me, I think ill be picking it for A review. Nice one.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Hy Be »

Amazing romance novel. The author writing style was eloquent making readers immerse in the story.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY MARY ANN TRAIL THAT TELLS THE STORY OF JEFFREY CHADWICK AND HIS FAMILY WHO IMMIGRATED TO THE U.S.A(BOSTON) IN JANUARY 1805 IN SEARCH OF A NEW LIFE,THEIR INTENTION TO SELL WINE,THEIR NEW LIFE...
A BOOK FOR ADULTS AND FANS OF HISTORICAL MYSTERIES AND ADVENTURE. GOOD REVIEW
Jyotii Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jyotii-reviewer.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jyotii Reviewer »

Historical mystery is something which I was looking forward to. I would love to read this book to know what happened when Jeffrey and his household went into that house.
LORDSHIP ALEX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lordship-alex.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by LORDSHIP ALEX »

Wow! This one sounds like it'll be an epic ride for anyone who's lucky enough to read it. Immigrants, especially in the years before the Civil War and even now, struggle in the hope that the American Dream is never too far. These two sound like a great couple who'll stop at nothing to chase just that. The mention of daily activities sounds like a great way to keep anyone searching for a slow-burn story invested and captivated. I am one of those!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I wonder what results in this shocking revelation to Jeffrey's life the time they went to the house. I like the timeline of the story, and the book cover looks romantic. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83097
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1067%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📚📖 of the day BOTD is historical fiction and a stand alone easy read a cold Boston trail conjurers the relentless bone chilling weather full of icy realism with notwithstanding the freezing temperaturesand brutal murder..such a nice story well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅

Return to “Historical Fiction”